Northbridge heatsink fell off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm not really to into hardware of a computer. But I'll try to make this clear as I can.

I own a stock Hp a810n Pavilion.

My Northbridge Headsink fell off and the thermal paste is pretty used.
My question is basically. If this happens would that be cause for my psu to rapidly blink?

I checked everything unplugged all power connections and I know my psu is good. once I plug everything in it blinks. I took out my ram and it still blinks (incase the ram was misplaced in there).

Thanks for anyhelp Will check this quite frequently for any questions. For exact mother board specs here is a url.

Asus K8S-LA (Salmon) I believe >__>
Thanks

- Entropy.

You need to put the heatsink back on. Buy some thermal paste cleaner and some thermal paste. Clean the old thermal paste off, put some new stuff on and re-attach the heatsink.
It may unfortunately be too late and the northbridge may be dead.

What's blinking on your power supply? The LED on the back of it?

Well I'm asking, if the headsink falls off will that cause the led light to blink or do I have another problem!!!

Does the comp load the o/s? If not, then you have a problem.

The blinking light on a psu I haven't ever heard about - look at the manufacturer's site about that.

No nothing comes on The psu blinking light usually means a problem with the psu or ram or memory. Or some kind of issue where it can't boot. I just need to know if I want a knew motherboard or just try to fix the headsink incase my headsink is bad what do I do buy a new one? And yes the LED in back blinks rapidly no ticking sound and when I unplug everything it is a steady green then when I plug everything in with no ram(flashing rapidly)

Yes CCT I went through all of that I know its my mobo. I just need to know if headsink falling off would cause the psu. Or if I should just buy a new mobo. Because the thing is I found the clips to the headsink and know that that fell off but I don't know if I have other problems too.

If the northbridge burned out and shorted out then the psu may be damaged also. I have NO way of knowing. If you replace the mobo and the psu is bad then you may blow the new mobo. If the psu is replaced and the mobo is bad that may damage the psu.

Them's the facts, Jack!

You decide how much risk you want to take.

Haha Oh I know the psu isn't bad. I know 100% psu is working When I unplug everything. it is a solid light. I just wanted to know is my northbridge burned out would it cause the light to blink but I guess no one knows XDD just because if its a mobo and not just the nb. then I'd rather go for a new pc etc.

Yes, if the Northbridge overheats and shorts out, the power supply with go into a overcurrent/overvolatge shutdown noted by the flashing LED... In other words the motherboard is toast and it will have to be replaced

Thanks for posts

Put my Presario sr1320nx (with K8S-LA mb) on its side to put in a GB NIC & found heatsink just sitting on top edge of sound card. Many thanks for details in this thread. Was able to find loose clip 2 in box & resolder it to mb successfully.

The blinking light on the PSU, of course, indicates fault. It can indicate fault with the PSU itself or fault with the motherboard.

The heatsink falling off will result in the Northbridge overheating. Performance will become really sluggish or glitchy. However, typically the computer will power on. My thought is that your PSU is pooched.

same thing happened

Replying here very late, I know. Found this message thread during 'net search because my mom's computer (also the HP a810n) wasn't powering up.
She past away a year ago and now my dad uses it for e-mail mostly. He called me asking about it not showing anything on the monitor and the blue power button light was out. It's left on 24/7 to keep from having to wake it up.

I thought it was a bad power supply. When I read this message I never expected to find the same thing wrong. Opened the case and there was the heatsink laying there. Looking around inside first thing I notice is the chip in the middle with thermal paste residue on it and later I saw a jumper-like object with metal hoop on top. Where the wire spring on the heatsink would go was two tiny holes in the motherboard. Shook the case around and the missing 'clip' fell out.

What I did was use "super glue" my mom had in her desk to put that back in the place labeled CLIP2. I also bent the wire to make it have less strain on the clips yet still hold against the chip.

I didn't know what it was but knew it wasn't the CPU (which is under a larger heat sink and fan). Must be the Intel chipset thing. I don't know much about motherboards, only something about the things added to them, so I guess that's why "Northbridge" is being said here, eh?

When I searched for more about this problem I found other similar or exact same trouble with this heatsink. Seems like a manufacturing defect to me.

Anyway... only thing I was going to be trying after reading this message thread was the disconnect/reconnect of the PSU to MB while plugged into the wall. Although I had tried other things first. Discovered that the only way to get power to the computer was that reconnect while plugged into the wall AC. So I was glad I saw this message thread and risked trying that.

Unfortunately, when moving the PC back to the desk and needing to reroute the power cord the same problem occured. So apparently any power loss will probably cause this again and need the fix redone.

Just wanted to say this particular HP Pavilion a810n definitely must have a defect if it happened to more than one machine and others have written about it. Maybe people will find this, too. Better still would be if people checked their desktop PC's for faulty heatsinks even if power failure hasn't happened (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back