Northbridge Heatsink says 8*agp on it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1_forever

On my old KT3 Ultra board I noticed on the Northbridge Chip Heatsink it says "MSI AGP 8*". Only thing is this is a 4* board. Does anyone know why they would put this on there? Advertising maybe.. I tried an 8* card to be sure but it only recognizes 4* which is as it should be for this board.

Andrew.

Did a small search about your board. It seems that they only support up to AGP 4 X max.

Anyway if I were in your shoes, I wont be bothered about it as there is no what so ever significant difference between AGP 4X and 8X performance wise.

An 8X video card will work fine. 4x and 8x and completely compatible with each other.

That is pretty odd. Can you get us a pic? Was the board a refurb or purchased second hand? Could be that they ran out of their normal chipset heatsink during manufacturing and used whatever worked and forgot to remove the sticker... Have any friends that would play a trick on you?

Bug

This is how I bought the Board. Strange that they would stamp 8* on a 4* board? It was brand new when purchased.

Attachments

• picture 002.jpg
    picture 002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 7
my guess is someone who wanted to sell the 4X MOBO but had a toast 8X MOBO said to themselves,"8X Boards sell!" so just switching that piticular heatsink was easy money,,you didnt get ripped that bad like Young&wild said,,thares none or very little noticable difference between 4&8X. I myself thought thare would be but only got 43 more marks in 3Dmark2004.
IMO, unless you have a power dongle connector on you Vidio card for dedicaded power to your GPU&MEM the only gain in performance is,,well nothing LOL
sorry you got taken,,but did you really? no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back