NPD: Modern Warfare 2 shifts 6 million copies in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

November video game sales fell 7.6 percent to $2.7 billion compared to $2.9 billion in 2008, according to NPD's latest report. Despite the small slowdown this was actually the industry's second best month for revenues in history and a much bigger month compared to October, helped by the release of a few blockbuster titles.

As expected, software sales were dominated by Activision and Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. The game moved an astonishing 4.2 million copies during the month on Microsoft's console, while the version for Sony's PlayStation 3 sold 1.9 million. Coming in at a strong but distant second was New Super Mario Bros. Wii with 1.4 million copies, while Assassin's Creed II and Left 4 Dead 2 also made the top sellers list.

On the hardware front, Nintendo was once again the big winner with 1.7 million DS handhelds and 1.3 million Wii consoles sold in November. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 grabbed third and fourth spot respectively with 819,500 and 710,400 units sold. In all NPD expects the video games industry -- not counting PCs -- to rake in $20 billion this year, down slightly compared to last year's record sales of more than $21 billion.

Permalink to story.

Wow ! M$, congrats... you played your cards right just to get an edge on SONY even if it means:

(1) bannning a Million 360 owners prior to MW2 launch, which means all those banned 360 owners
would have to buy another 360 to play online.

(2) With a failure rate of 54% almost every 360 finatics would have to buy an extra Box as back-up just to ensure they can play without having a heart attack when their X-Box bricked.

Figures are good but the reality is that SONY is actually the winner here with solid figures and continued growth worldwide. definitely the YEAR of the PS3.

Man, I'm as big a gamer as there is, but I just don't get the fascination with MW2. I played the first one and it was fairly decent. But I can think of a half-dozen other games I thought were better during that year's release and it wasn't so good that I felt the need to get MW2.

Oh well...more power to 'em!

MW2 did well IMO bcuz of 3 things: (1) Brand (2) Hype (3) No demo!
There is nothing different with this game than the previous ones....just little polish here an there, nothing different.

Congrats B. Kotick we gave in to your strategy Sir, especially X-Box users who really wanted something this year (FPS especially) to quench the gaming thirst.

So, Guest #1, you're saying that,
1: Banning a million hackers, cheaters, and modders is a bad thing
2: Xbox fans buy 2 Xbox's because they are absoulutely sure their Xbox will red ring
and
3: Sony is this year's winner because they sold more PS3's this year than last year, but still sell less than Xbox?

@coldfusion:
Banning these guys aren't a bad thing...that's not what am saying at all.

(1) It was IMO a timed one.
(2)No..not "absoulutely sure their Xbox will red ring" but 54% sure.
(3) SONY'S console is the undisputed console of this year based on not only the sales spike it got...but the AAA quality exclusives second to none. hence it is the "console of the year"

It only does everything...

I have to say I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Modern Warfare 2. I didn't buy it, but I played through the single player campaign, and delved into a bit of multi player. The campaign was definitely fun, but not at all long enough in my opinion. The multi player was kinda fun, but it didn't wow me by any means.

Still.. not a great argument that Microsoft is doing anything dishonest, wrong, or tricky. Or that the PS3 is the year's winner because they did better than last year, and they have some exclusives that YOU like.

Not surprising MW2 sales figures, Microsoft was almost hyping that up as much as Halo. A bit shocked thou that PS3 figure wasn't a bit higher /shurg.

@coldfusion:
Banning these guys aren't a bad thing...that's not what am saying at all.

(1) It was IMO a timed one.
(2)No..not "absoulutely sure their Xbox will red ring" but 54% sure.
(3) SONY'S console is the undisputed console of this year based on not only the sales spike it got...but the AAA quality exclusives second to none. hence it is the "console of the year"

It only does everything...

And guest, with point one I can agree somewhat. While I think Microsoft is trying to be more proactive to banning legitimate cheaters/glitchers and pirates especially with that timing. They no doubt also inadvertently banned some modders who simply made there 360 more efficient or changed something for aesthetic reasons (which is still illegal, but hey so is backing up drmed dvd's heh).

Your second point is a little moot, while that number is one of the higher ones used especially if you have one of the original ones over the years they have improved the 360. And of course everyone has a 3yr warranty on RROD now. So you're just cherry-picking what fits your argument best.

And undisputed console of the year? Quality exclusives second to none (lol)? You come straight off as a PS3 fanboi. You are right PS3 is finally rebounding this year after years of denial and high prices but that doesn't make them the console of the year. And it still doesn't change the fact that in last generation they were the real undisputed kings of console with the PS2 and now are finally making some headway again.

In the end though this generation of consoles in my view even with all the advancements will still be remembered for there failures, 360 RROD issues as you pointed out, and PS3 lackluster sales and denials for years. Wii being the standout here as the comeback story taking mainstream and #1. Maybe in a few years when the new ones hit everyone will be happy and gamers finally unit as consumers instead of fighting amongst each other over what system is better to game on. (When we all know that's a PC...I kid, I kid :) ).

hello ...

In the end though this generation of consoles in my view even with all the advancements will still be remembered for there failures, 360 RROD issues as you pointed out, and PS3 lackluster sales and denials for years. Wii being the standout here as the comeback story taking mainstream and #1. Maybe in a few years when the new ones hit everyone will be happy and gamers finally unit as consumers instead of fighting amongst each other over what system is better to game on. (When we all know that's a PC...I kid, I kid

i agree! even with the PC being the better.

it's a fact that the PC is the best gaming machine of all time, it is the real "does everything" ... yet it is also the most expensive of all gaming platform.

the PS3 come next in terms of value for money, even when it was expensive to some (yes i have a big old one ;) )

the Xbox360 is a good console to those who like the games that it has as true exclusive (i mean no sharing with PC here) ...

MS, SONY & Nintendo are all business machines wanting to make money, all their actions are based on this, we can't deny that. IMHO, we must just stick to the system we need based on our games preferences.

I have a wide variety of choices by being a PS3 & PC owner, this is the best combo if i'm not after Halo (got Halo 2 on PC though) or Gears of War (got the 1st one on PC also).

but this thread is about Modern Warfare 2, it's a great game, MW1 was cool too, better on PC Keyboard + mouse than on any gamepad. I intend still to redeem some gifts points for it for i don't feel i want to buy it. I will have a lot to spend on the upcoming big PS3 hits (most games are 9+ btw ;))

MW2 sells good indeed because of the hype, but it's still quite a good fun!

cheers!

Has anyone seen any PC sales figures? Just curious. Searched around a bit and couldn't find any recent numbers.

I know.. What's up with PC figures? Are we the abandoned children of the market? Or is it necessary for us to pirate software titles to get figures in the news? I'd like to think positively here, but the trackers are letting me down.

As for COD MW2, I withdrew my pre-order based on the terrorist mission and released video depicting that mission. This isn't something that I want in my house. Sorry, but that's where I stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back