NPD: Nintendo has record-breaking month in December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Nintendo mopped the floor with Microsoft and Sony last month, selling 3.81 million Wii consoles and 3.31 million DS handhelds versus the competition's 1.31 million Xbox 360s, 1.36 million PS3s, 333,200 PS2s, and 654,700 PSPs.

In fact, Wii and DS sales were so strong in December, they surpassed the PS2's best-selling month. Although Nintendo stole the spotlight, the PS3 broke its personal sales record, and the video game industry as a whole witnessed its biggest sales month ever, beating last December's figures by 4%.

Software fared well last year, with Modern Warfare 2 (combined SKUs) topping console sales. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, Mario Kart, Assassin's Creed II, Left 4 Dead 2, and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story also made the top ten list.

The top list of PC game sales in 2009 isn't entirely surprising: The Sims 3, WoW: Wrath of the Lich King, The Sims 3 Double Deluxe, WoW: Battle Chest, Modern Warfare 2, The Sims 3: World Adventures, Spore, Dragon Age: Origins, Empire: Total War.

Permalink to story.

Wow I had no idea that the Sims was still making bank. I never quite understood the attraction to that game, haha. Good for them though, I guess.

I'm with treeski - who the hell are buying those Sims games? I'm as avid gamer as there is, work in the high-tech industry and have a ton of gaming friends. Yet I don't know of one single person who plays that damn game but it is always in the top-10 in sales. Weird...

At any rate, surprised at the Wii's rebound after the PS3 and XBox out-sold it late last year. I thought the novelty had worn off and it was going to permanently take it's place behind the other two "serious gaming" consoles. Oh well...props to them. Nintendo definitely has the golden touch.

Got one for Christmas, had a PS3 for the last 3 years, Each have there perks. Like them both.

Both consols cater too different crowds, in my case i trully gamelike interaction like uncharted 2, but at the same time fully enjoy an old school 2D mario brothers.

I'm with treeski - who the hell are buying those Sims games? I'm as avid gamer as there is, work in the high-tech industry and have a ton of gaming friends. Yet I don't know of one single person who plays that damn game but it is always in the top-10 in sales. Weird...

At any rate, surprised at the Wii's rebound after the PS3 and XBox out-sold it late last year. I thought the novelty had worn off and it was going to permanently take it's place behind the other two "serious gaming" consoles. Oh well...props to them. Nintendo definitely has the golden touch.

I think its outside the normal gamers :) - Out of all my gaming friends and I've been doing it for a decent amount of time (less then you most likely =P) only one plays/ed the Sims. But I have several non-gaming friends who love it most of whom are female. I think we all can agree that casual and family oriented content drive Wii and Sim like game sales.

And Matthew your PC sales list is 09 total not just December 09 (Link. Even with that said I would've guessed that L4D2 would make the total 2009 PC top ten of retail. Meh, digital probably does better for them anyway with Steam on PC's then retail.

PS: Wii fit is not a game imo, the industries terminology needs to change =P .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back