NTFS Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshields13

I just replaced my old 20g hard drive (which was defective) with an 80g one. After reinstalling Windows 98SE and my XP upgrade, I tried to convert it from FAT32 to NTFS. I get a message that "Convert cnnot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?". Can anyone tell me how to make sure nothing is running. I have checked control-alt-delete and there are no applications running. Everything in the system tray is closed. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Forgive me if im wrong, but why did you install win98 when you are upgrading to winxp. If you startup with the winxp cd as boot dont you just put your old win98 disk in (When asked)
to prove that it is an upgrade for xp to install.

All previous upgrades I have used use this method, unfortunately I cannot verify that its the same with xp, but give it a try

Absolutely correct, you do not have to actually install Win98 to use the upgrade.

You cannot convert the partition while you are running Windows off it. You'd have to boot from the XP CD, go to recovery console and do the conversion from there.

OR, use third party software like Partition Magic 8 to convert the partition. (You'd still have to use boot floppies/CD tho)

I originally had 98 on my computer. My original hard disk became defective so I had to install a new one. I did not know that I could install the XP upgrade directly. That said, it is done. According to Microsoft, I can use the convert command to change to NTFS. The conversion would be complete once I restarted my computer. As I said before, my problem is that something seems to be running in the background because of the message that was generated.

I am sure that if you issue a command to convert, and it asks if you want to dismount, and you say no, then the conversion is done the next time to reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back