NTT DoCoMo partners with six vendors to test 5G mobile wireless

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung nokia japan 5g

NTT DoCoMo, the top mobile phone operator in Japan, recently announced plans to conduct experimental trials of fifth generation, or 5G, mobile wireless technology with six of the world’s top mobile technology vendors.

Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Fujitsu, NEC, Nokia and Samsung will be working with the carrier to help determine if frequency bands above 6GHz can support the blazing speeds that 5G will deliver. Part of that test will include saturating the network to see if things hold up when there are a ton of devices vying for bandwidth.

DoCoMo will begin indoor trials at their research and development center in Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture this year which will be followed by outdoor field trials planned for next year. Results from these tests will be shared among research instititues and during international conferences to help contribute to the standard, the carrier said in a press release on the matter.

5G mobile wireless technology first made headlines just over a year ago. It’s expected to deliver transmission speeds of more than 10Gbps, 1,000 times the capacity of existing LTE networks. That’s extremely impressive when you consider current LTE speeds are already fast by today’s standards and outpace home broadband offerings in a number of regions.

There’s plenty to get excited about with regard to 5G but the truth of the matter is the technology is still extremely far away. Commercial deployment isn’t expected until 2020 so we’ll have to settle for LTE and LTE Advanced until then.

Permalink to story.

Lol at me. I have a wireless internet connection, wimax (touted as 4G by my ISP).
current plan is 1mbps = 85.33KBps actual download speed, with bursts >150KBps usually after 10PM to morning.
10GB/month data cap.

fortunately for those with LTE-capable handsets, my ISP and its competition offer download speeds >20MBps with no data cap yet (that I know of).

and now japan is testing 5G?

while the commercial viability of the latest technology is still 6 years away by NTT DoCoMom estimates, I wonder how Philippine ISPs or the Philippine government will react.

attention: Philippine Senator Bam Aquino! please do something or else the Philippines will once again belong to the TOP low speed yet more expensive internet service in the world.

This things don't matter I have wireless internet @ home and everywhere I go they have it. I like how people get all excited about how fast 4g is down loading crap on a phone. I watch movies and such on a real tv not a 4" phone. And don't forget 5g will prob cost you $300.00 a month

5G! Really where they can't even give you true 4G and they're peddling 4G LTE and that is mostly 3G/4G depending where live at would matter. Maybe if they all didn't share the same towers and they all had their own towers just maybe what was promise would really work correctly.

Back