Nv4_disp error and corrupted video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddintane

Hi all,

I'm new here and am hoping someone can help me with my problem.

My wife's computer has been suffering repeated BSOD the last couple days (although she tells me it's been happening occasionally for several months). The first error said that the "nv4_disp" file was stuck in an infinite loop. I did a little research, and tried to uninstall/reinstall the nVIDIA drivers/software. I couldn't get that to work right, so I used the system restore utility from the command line in Safe Mode, and that seemed to do the job (at least it would boot to the Windows login screen). The computer started fine this morning, but when I tried to install a new version of Norton Internet Sec., it wouldn't restart. The fan will run on high (like it usually does when booting), but it won't even post. Then it usually will post and boot on the next press of the power button. Repeated reboots on the power button results in repeats of this sequence. Occasionally it will boot to Windows, but then the display is scrambled.

Finally, the last time I tried to start it (a couple hours ago) I got a "machine_check_exception" error with the following STOP codes:

STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80546e70, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f)

This machine has always had trouble with standby/shutting down. It will often hang at high fan speed (like it usually does when powering on/off).

The computer is an eMachine T6216:

XP Home
Athlon 3200
4GB RAM
160 GB HD
onboard vid (nVIDIA GeForce 6150LE)
onboard sound

I'm suspecting it's a video hardware problem. And I'm wondering if throwing in a cheapo vid card (and disabling the onboard) might fix the problem. It's only used mainly for e-mail, Web browsing, word processing, and the like. Nothing heavy duty for proc or video. I don't feel like investing in a new mobo (if that's the case, I might just pop for a new computer--the monitor is new and works fine).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Her error is 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

First, if you want to update onboard audio or video drivers the best place to go is to the motherboard manufacture's website or if this is pre-built to the computer manufacturer's website and download and install from them. Just make sure you have the correct model #.

Second, we have found that Symantec causes all kinds of problems for many people. Quite frankly at this point we have lost count of how many. pe Keep in mind that even if you uninstall Symantec it is notorious for leaving driver remnants behind and thus causing serious system issues. The problem is so prevelent that Symantec/Norton has had to create a special removal tool for each version in order to make a system clean after initial uninstall.

Symantec also is a resource hog. There are much better options for your wife's PC and believe it or not some of the very best are free. We can direct you if you would like.

Also, follow the this next step please and attach in your next post.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Also, follow the this next step please and attach in your next post.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files

Thanks for the reply Route44. I tried this, but the most recent files there are from Oct. 2008, nothing recent.

I'm starting to think that these problems might actually be heat related. I've noticed for the last couple days that it will start okay when it's been sitting for a while (and fully cooled down). But if it you walk away and leave it on, and it tries to go into standby (or sleep, or whatever it's trying to do) it hangs, as it typically does, with the fan running on high. It started just fine today. But I left it on to check temps, and when I returned it had locked up trying to go to standby. And then it wouldn't restart properly: lock ups, corrupted video when it did reboot to Windows, etc. I also downloaded and ran Speedfan, and all the temps were between 105-110f. Everest Home showed a similar temp from the HD sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back