I have recently updated my PC.

Pentium D Dual Core 3.4Gig
2 Gig DDRII 533
775 Dual-VSTA motherboard
Omni 500 Watt power supply
AGP 128 nVidia Geforce 6800
2 x IDE hardDrive (80 GIG, 200 GIG)
3 x system fans

I used my AGP nVidia 128 mb GeForce 6800 from my old system hence the need for the motherboard which supports DDRII, dual core and AGP.

Every time a play a game (Dark Messiah of M&M),(Dawn of War, Dark Reign 40000K),and (Neverwinter Nights 2) my pc freezes. It can happen 30 minutes in or 3 mins in. I cannot get out of it except to restart PC. This is sending me crazy. The pc runs fine in windows, it only happens with games.

I have tested my memory with Microscope and found no problem. I have been looking at threads about this and it talks about over heating of the graphics card. I check the temp of card while playing and it seems fine (60). The default clock speeds concern me though 450MHz/2.4GHz. I read somewhere it should be alot lower than this.

Could it be power supply problems. Should I flash the bios of the card. Are there any bios setting to be aware of. Could it be my cheaper motherboard.

I have benchmarked using 3Dmark03 and It handles well (1100- 1300). I have run twice in quick succession and it handled fine.

Please HELP ME.

Paul290874 said:
. The default clock speeds concern me though 450MHz/2.4GHz. I read somewhere it should be alot lower than this

What 6800 model do you have (Ultra, GT, or the vanilla one)?

If you have the vanilla one, it should have a 325Mhz/700Mhz clocks. The GT version has 350Mhz/1Ghz clocks, and the Ultra version has 400Mhz/1.1Ghz. Only the Ultra Extreme version has a 450Mhz core clock, but not a 2.4Ghz RAM clock.

BTW, welcome to Techspot!! :)

I have the GT but changed drivers and got completely different settings 450/1100.

Installed new power supply but to no effect. Downloaded memtest to check the ram again. Memtest told me that I had to run two memtest's simultaneously because there was too much Ram. I decided to remove 1x1gig stick to let memcheck do its job on each individual stick. But before I ran memtest again I decided to try the games with 1x1gig stick. IT WORKED. Swapped the sticks around to test the other one and it still WORKED. For some reason I cannot have 2x1gig sticks. AHHHHH.

Why does my new motherboard freak out with 2gig of ram?

If I were to purchase a new motherboard is it worth my while sticking with AGP (as the 6800 isn't all that old)?

Or should I byte the bullet and get a PCI express mortherboard with new PCI express graphics card. (expensive)?

Thanks everyone for your help.

p.s I really enjoy my new power supply, it has pretty lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back