Nvidia AI can remove noise and artifacts from grainy photos

By Shawn Knight · 10 replies
Jul 10, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia has developed an impressive deep learning technique capable of automatically removing noise and artifacts from photos. Whereas recent deep learning work in this field has focused on training a neural network with clean and noisy images, Nvidia’s AI can do so without ever being shown a noise-free example.

The new deep learning-based approach, developed alongside researchers from MIT and Aalto University, can remove noise, artifacts and grain after only seeing two “dirty” samples.

Nvidia used Tesla P100 GPUs with the cuDNN-accelerated TensorFlow deep learning framework and trained the system on 50,000 images in the ImageNet validation set. It then validated the neural network on three different datasets.

The results are rather impressive, especially on images corrupted with random text and photos with excessive noise. As anyone that has worked with photo editing software can attest to, however, noise reduction tools and techniques have been around for many years and in the hands of a skilled user, it’s possible to get very good results.

Also, as with traditional techniques, there does appear to be a loss of sharpness when using Nvidia’s AI.

The development team will be presenting its work in an oral presentation at the International Conference on Machine Learning in Stockholm, Sweden this week.

Permalink to story.

2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,723   +336

Neat so when can I get my hands on it?

3. JaredTheDragon

JaredTheDragon TS Guru Posts: 402   +266

Just use Photoshop.

Reehahs and p51d007 like this.
  4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,723   +336

I don't really know much about this. If I can just do it in photoshop why is this a big deal?

5. JaredTheDragon

JaredTheDragon TS Guru Posts: 402   +266

Because it's automated and you don't have to do anything, and this method is a little cleaner (not much, given the image posted up top). And because machine learning is all the rage right now. It's a marketing tool.

Reehahs and p51d007 like this.
  6. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,561   +888

Yep, you can do pretty much the same thing in photoshop, if you have the patience and understanding
    of photoshop. Been using it for 20 years and I still once in a while will run into "I didn't know I could do that"
    moments. The AI is nice, but I still prefer to have the control.

7. Igrecman

Igrecman TS Maniac Posts: 242   +142

Don't use that one music or you won't hear anything

8. Godel

Godel TS Booster Posts: 115   +48

Reehahs likes this.
  9. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,647   +405

I can foresee a lot of watermark removal from photographers images being done with this...

10. Boilerhog146

Boilerhog146 TS Evangelist Posts: 615   +214

Deep fakes .forgeries, and counterfeits everywhere. there is much good to come from this,much bad also.

11. grainhater

grainhater TS Rookie

That noisy koala picture still has less grain than the recent The Matrix 4K bluray. Maybe they can try to go with Nvidia.