Nvidia GeForce 320.49 WHQL drivers ready for download

Rick

Staff

Coinciding with last week's release of the GeForce GTX 760, Nvidia dropped a set of 320.49 beta drivers which were welcomed by gamers with mixed feedback. Today, Nvidia has released a WHQL version of its 320.49 driver which hopefully sets right the issues (e.g. freezing, BSODs, image corruption) reported by some beta users.

Download GeForce 320.49 (WHQL) drivers:

As usual, 320.49 improves performance over its predecessor in a number of recent titles. Many of the performance gains made in games like Metro: Last Night, Assassin's Creed 3, Starcraft 2 and BioShock: Infinite are a subtle 5 to 10-percent. Meanwhile, Dirt and Tomb Raider receive a substantial bumps in performance (17-20-percent) under certain conditions and configurations.

The WHQL release also resolves a number of bugs, like artifacting issues found in Battlefield 3 (e.g. blue rectangles, image corruption), Eve Retribution and Assassin's Creed 3 (purple artifacts). Dual-monitors setups will no longer cause GPUs to run at higher performance levels than they should while GeForce GTX 680M-equipped notebooks will no longer go blank after enabling SLI or 3D mode.

More than a dozen new SLI profiles have also been added. Far Cry: Blood Dragon, GRID 2, The Walking Dead and Resident Evil 6 are just a few worthy mentions.

Included with 320.49 WHQL are PhysX 9.13.0604, HD Audio 1.3.24.2, support for CUDA 5.5 and earlier. Supported products include most GeForce, Quadro and ION GPUs made within the past several years.

Permalink to story.

I recently bought a GTX 770 and I have been having weird driver issues like freezing when resuming from monitor sleep (not computer sleep). So to fix that I'd have to actually power off my monitors when I was away from my computer instead of allowing the computer to put them to sleep after a period of time. I also was getting artifacts in recent titles like Tomb Raider, although older titles such as Crysis 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 appeared to be perfectly fine.

Before this 770 I had only used AMD cards, like the 5770. AMD did have driver issues as well and they did fix them. What's puzzling is that people always said Nvidia drivers are better... Well I think the overall user experience and UI design is better and fancier, the actual reliability and stability of the driver itself is no better or worse than AMD's drivers.

I've always believed neither company is perfect and this experience just solidifies that.

I recently bought a GTX 770 and I have been having weird driver issues like freezing when resuming from monitor sleep (not computer sleep). So to fix that I'd have to actually power off my monitors when I was away from my computer instead of allowing the computer to put them to sleep after a period of time. I also was getting artifacts in recent titles like Tomb Raider, although older titles such as Crysis 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 appeared to be perfectly fine.
Before this 770 I had only used AMD cards, like the 5770. AMD did have driver issues as well and they did fix them. What's puzzling is that people always said Nvidia drivers are better... Well I think the overall user experience and UI design is better and fancier, the actual reliability and stability of the driver itself is no better or worse than AMD's drivers.
I've always believed neither company is perfect and this experience just solidifies that.
well your card is brand new !! what you expect give it some time my 660ti experience is flawless ....

Tell us if there's any difference with the new WHQL released drivers and if your problems were fixed. You can try too changing some related parameters within the BIOS (that solved my problems with my 9800 GT back when I bought it -something like "PCIe error pattern correction" but definitely related with PCIe).

I'm right there with you, RH00D.

People seem to honestly *think* Nvidia has better drivers, but why?

I can tell you that hasn't been my experience, not by any stretch of the imagination. At the very best, I've had problems with both; admittedly though, driver issues as a whole have been mostly a non-issue.

ATI developed a bad driver reputation back in its Rage days, before AMD gobbled them up. In my opinion, that stigma likely still powers the "popular wisdom" of Radeon driver awfulness.

The reality is though, both work very well and I don't think there's a clear winner in terms of stability or compatibility.

Great driver. Overdue, but appreciated.
Been waiting for it to hit as the launch GTX 780 driver did not allow me to run the New Dawn or Design Garage tech demos.

Yea I agree with you Rick and RH00D, a lot of people make up things and constantly fantasize that Nvidia Drivers are much better than AMD Drivers and always more stable. Honestly, from my experience with both sides, they both have issues from time to time with neither really being superior in any way. Ive had Catalyst Control Center Close on me Roughly 2 times in the past year while Nvidia Control Panel has done it 2 times to me as well (Both have been due to the Intel HD 4000 On my Ivy Bridge I7 having an issue with multi-monitoring).

I need to DL this driver and try it on my Laptop to see if anything changes, curious to see if some things improve on it. Im hoping for some improvements in Tomb Raider on it which it lists!

ATI developed a bad driver reputation back in its Rage days, before AMD gobbled them up. In my opinion, that stigma likely still powers the "popular wisdom" of Radeon driver awfulness.
AMD's issues seem to stem more from pervasive and persistent problems due to a lack of focus with the software side of hardware development. Nvidia have their issues- some well documented, but do have a tendency of getting a resolution out fairly quickly -even if it breaks something else, as well as a reasonable (though not all encompassing) dialogue with affected users, whilst AMD's driver team under the stewardship of Terry Makedon suffered from terminal inertia. The continuing saga of Enduro -now entering its second year for example (along with the frame pacing issue), makes for a convenient whipping boy for AMD's detractors when other avenues for criticism and flamebait are thin on the ground.

The other distinction, and this one is more tangible for the majority of users where they experience no chronic driver issues themselves, is that of game launch day performance and playability (Nvidia in the modern era haven't had a game that refused to run on their hardware for instance). Bugs and game patches aside, Nvidia usually has a fairly polished driver on Day 1. Further driver revisions don't tend to add appreciably to the initial performance in relation to AMD. It has become de rigueur to expect that AMD's drivers to mature/evolve, and for a performance driver to arrive some months after an architecture launches. Evidence of these are abundant- the latest being the launch of the HD 7990 with largely unfinished drivers pertaining to CrossfireX profiles and frame pacing issues which also mirrors the hurried launch of the HD 7970 launch where WHQL drivers didn't arrive until months after the board was available in retail. Both examples of good hardware products unnecessarily tarnished by a lacklustre software implementation.

Again, in my opinion, the pervading sentiment seems to be that AMD's driver team aren't in sync with the hardware side of the business. I suspect that the reasons may still be AMD's treating software development as the red headed stepchild of their business allied with the degree of internal secrecy that AMD seem to love to indulge in. Keeping everything/everyone compartmentalized may be a great way of preserving the big reveal, but does little to keep hardware and software development in lockstep.

Most of the other issues are pure noise- from both camps. For every "AMD has bad drivers" shriek, you'll read how Nvidia's drivers make their cards explode from another group of babblers - neither of which will make the distinction between game coding bugs, OS bugs, other installed software/update incompatibility (hello Adobe), and BIOS/vBIOS settings.

People seem to honestly *think* Nvidia has better drivers, but why?

I own and work with both AMD & Nvidia hardware at work & home. AMD still has a long way to come with drivers in comparison, specifically when it comes to game profiles. When I setup profiles for applications on my Nvidia system, they work first go. Applications launch with the desired settings. But when I setup application profiles with AMD, first I had to download the AMD driver to allow me to do this, then after several attempts, I came to the conclusion that it's buggy, and to put bluntly, simply doesn't work.

Yea this bashing of AMD drivers & praising of nVidia's makes me shake my head in disbelief.
Personally I've had problems with both, but in actuality nVidia for sure leads the camp with both releasing drivers that kill cards (remember the fan problems?)
And also releasing drivers which blow up the power circuit of their cards...
And yet still nVidia hardware & drivers are praised as the mother of all, when in actuality they are the company responsible for the death of millions of G8x & G9x GPU's in laptops & desktops "with inaduquate cooling"; which means if you don't watercool the things are gonna fail in large percentages.
-Just ask a couple Xbox 360 owners...

Personally I've had problems with both, but in actuality nVidia for sure leads the camp with both releasing drivers that kill cards (remember the fan problems?)
And also releasing drivers which blow up the power circuit of their cards...
I think you'll find that the driver that "killed cards" was actually a single driver (196.75) that could in some instances bork the fan profile. The driver in question was removed within three days and superseded 2 days later by 196.78. The power circuit issue was the initial driver allied with incorrectly set max vCore in BIOS for a single card- the GTX 590- an issue that generally presented itself when the card was overclocked.
So, you've highlighted two drivers in how many Detonator and Forceware revisions to prove a point regarding reliability ? This differs from some Nv***** cherry picking and constructing an argument from a couple of AMD's faux pas how? IIRC, I think you'll also find that many people intentionally used the driver and/or claimed a dead card to trade up on their warranty. There were a great many forum posters looking for the driver once it was taken down from official download- the posts are easy enough to find
As a counterpoint, I'd bring your attention to two cards whose failure rates are known to be very high due to cooling issues of both GPU and VRM stages. Inadequate cooling and a bad design gave the HD 3870 X2 and HD 4870 X2 (as well as the reference HD 4890, and 9800GX2) an unwanted reputation for a short life span
failure_rates.jpg

It should also be noted that even with the high failure rates and very high local temperatures, none of the reference designs were altered during their respective production runs.
And yet still nVidia hardware & drivers are praised as the mother of all, when in actuality they are the company responsible for the death of millions of G8x & G9x GPU's in laptops & desktops "with inaduquate cooling"; which means if you don't watercool the things are gonna fail in large percentages.
I think you'll find that most enthusiasts (as opposed to randoms braying at the moon) base their opinion upon the hardware at hand, and on merit...or otherwise. Making a decision based on underfill failures in a series of cards that have been EOL'ed for 5+ years makes no more sense than boycotting AMD cards for the PowerPlay issue (Grey Screen of Death) that plagued the initial 7-8 months of the Evergreen series launch.

The GPU's affected by the high-lead solder underfill were based upon the G86/84/73/72/72M, and MCP67 / C51 onboard chipsets - I.e. single slot cards and mobile. Nvidia and TSMC transitioned to eutectic solder before all the G9x arrived excepting an early tranche of G92. The only part that could have been affected- 8800 GTS seems unaffected because of the effective dual slot cooler the card shipped with.

I'd also note that the issue of heating/cooling expansion and contraction cycles on solder underfill wasn't a greatly explored topic until the wholesale failures of the G84/G86 came to light (ATI's similar issue was happening concurrently)- and while the widespread failures bought a lot of attention to the Nvidia issue, it isn't by far the only one (ATI were only saved the same PC graphics issue because their high-lead solder issue occurred with their Xenos chip on the Xbox 360 causing the RRoD) although Nvidia and the OEMs in particular could have handled the issue much better. I don't think it was until the underfill issue and the more widespread use of thermographs for monitoring graphics card local heat build up and dissipation that anyone really started taking serious notice - hence the advent of proprietary (and often, open shroud) cooling and the almost complete lack of single slot cooling cards at anything above entry level performance.

I think you'll find that most enthusiasts (as opposed to randoms braying at the moon) base their opinion upon the hardware at hand, and on merit...or otherwise. Making a decision based on underfill failures in a series of cards that have been EOL'ed for 5+ years makes no more sense than boycotting AMD cards for the PowerPlay issue (Grey Screen of Death) that plagued the initial 7-8 months of the Evergreen series launch.
I base my buying decisions on how such matters are handled, when a company, namely nVidia and all major laptop brand spend months (years?) trying to hide the issue by releasing BIOS updates that run their laptop fans at 100% to prolong the life of the laptop untill the warranty expires, that those companies are in no way serious and will never ever get my money again.
Maybe you too would think differently if you had a $3000 laptop as a paper weight? (No, I did not buy one, but I still don't fail to see the bigger picture)

I base my buying decisions on how such matters are handled, when a company, namely nVidia and all major laptop brand spend months (years?) trying to hide the issue by releasing BIOS updates that run their laptop fans at 100% to prolong the life of the laptop untill the warranty expires, that those companies are in no way serious and will never ever get my money again.
Definitely not cool- and I've said as much in print here before. I presume you also hold the OEMs (HP, Apple, Dell) culpable for their part in the saga.
Maybe you too would think differently if you had a $3000 laptop as a paper weight? (No, I did not buy one, but I still don't fail to see the bigger picture)
I know of quite a number of affected users. Most realised that the OEMs would drag their feet and swapped out the MXM's for a non affected G94b or G96a/b part. Likewise, while swapping out an MXM module is less than 30 minutes work, it most definitely wasn't a high point in Nvidia's and the OEM's history.
While I haven't been on the receiving end of the underfill issue, as a system builder I had endless recourse (and out of pocket RMA expenses) from numerous GSoD returms of HD 5870's ad 5850's- not to mention a truckload of BS from AMD Support. If you think that dubious business practice is a Nvidia-only trait, then I'd note forum threads concerning issues with AMD products (and the community approach to troubleshooting) censored by AMD...
34838071.png

...and AMD only acknowledging the problem once Anandtech, TR, and Tom's Hardware shamed them into addressing the issues. To that you can add ATI's shady GPU shenanigans from the late eighties/early nineties, and AMD's fictitious CPUs and guerrilla marketing campaign to sell 900 chipset boards and hype Bulldozer via John Fruehe.

I'm well aware of the crap that Nvidia, AMD, Intel, the OEMs, and the software vendors pull (or have pulled in the past). None are immune, and none are shining examples of ethicality. In the end you'll justify your choices, and I'll do likewise- maybe the difference is that I use a purely empirical set of parameters and not emotive...but then, if I need gasoline I won't pass by a BP station just to find an ethically superior oil company.

Well, out of all I have read and seen, in the past, nvidia has released more harmful drivers than amd, the worst I've ever seen for amd/ati has been just things like support in a games for crossfire missing or stuff like that.

With nvidia I have seen the infamous driver for the 590 that if overclocked caused it to literally explode, the overheating cards like the 8600m, and recently driver 320.18 killing some video card models like the 670. I woul have been pissed if I had spent 700 on the 590 just to have it explode.

But then in the amd side, I have also seen the infamous 5870m that was awesome but ran like a heat pad, the 4870x2 that ran so hot it was almost required to liquid cool, and my twins the infamous hd 6990 which sounds like jets taking off even at idle. So both have really had their own sets of issues.

The problem for amd, is taking too much time on releasing their drivers for game profiles and cfx profiles. Where as nvidia needs to do better testing on their drivers instead of shoving a driver out for a 10 percent improvement in like 3 games just to have the chance the card decides to combust.

With my laptop, I normally wait like 2-5 days before updating just in case a problem occurs like that so I won't have to worry. Both companies need to work on their systems to help us out!

@dividebyzero yes I blame the OEM's aswell as I wrote in my post.
And only some laptops have the MXM interface, for example the HP DV6xxx to DV9xxx series do not, I have Three such dead computers with nVidia GPU or nVidia chipset problems.

My ex got my Dell M1710, it had a defective nVidia 7950GTX that I replaced with a ATI X1400 (MXM)

@dividebyzero yes I blame the OEM's aswell as I wrote in my post.
And only some laptops have the MXM interface, for example the HP DV6xxx to DV9xxx series do not, I have Three such dead computers with nVidia GPU or nVidia chipset problems.
Three dead laptops. There's a saying that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I think I would have switched vendor before it got to that stage...certainly would have offloaded any warranty replacements :)
Your component fit out these days would likely be a tricky undertaking. Given Intel's long history of dubious business practice, AMD's product misrepresentation, Nvidia's shady activities, most of the big DRAM suppliers record of price fixing...including Samsung, Hynix, Micron/Elpida and NEC, who along with Intel (IM Flash w/Micron) and Toshiba (guilty of LCD price fixing along with LG, Samsung, Philips, Hitachi and AU) supply the bulk of NAND flash memory...and that's without even considering OEMs, the insidious Intel's I/O business (GbLAN etc.)...and finding a decent monitor and/or TV must be a mission in itself if you're excluding the players named above as well as price fixing Sharp and Panasonic who also were guilty in an earlier case as Matsushita...:eek:

@dividebyzero the laptops aren't mine, I only got them for fixing, but it's too expensive to do BGA rework (I don't want to reflow it as it'll just fail again)

As for the rest of your post look at my profile and you will understand I live from what I say :p
Haha, no not really, but the thought has occured to me that I pretty much hate all manufacturers nowdays ;)

the thought has occurred to me that I pretty much hate all manufacturers nowdays
I'm with you on that one! I wish I could say we only have ourselves to blame, but thats only a fraction of the problem. If cheap crap was never put on the market, we wouldn't have cheap crap as a choice to ignorantly spend our money on. But yet we buy cheap crap, because we know how inflated in price everything else is. And to be truthful some of the expensive products are no better designed than the inexpensive products.

The reality is though, both work very well and I don't think there's a clear winner in terms of stability or compatibility.
I disagree here somewhat.
Only up until very recently has AMD made noticeable strides.

In the past few GPU wars, AMD drivers have had considerably more problems, bugs and fixes, if just looking at the patch notes alone.
Throughout several tech forums I am apart of, more people with AMD rigs ran into more issues on average when playing all types of games old and new (including me, with several AMD builds, and I know what I'm doing). Both companies have had issues, yes, but Nvidia's suite was always smoother, even if talking about just the installation/stability issues of Catalyst alone.
In the past 12 months AMD has made major strides and you can tell its very close, but AMD needs to be more consistent, and still to this day has significant frame time issues with its GPU's.
Toms Hardware said:
[FONT=Verdana]Enthusiasts ready to go big with multiple GPUs should be looking to Nvidia’s cards until AMD can sort out the issues with its frame pacing that we saw affect [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Battlefield 3[/FONT][FONT=Verdana],[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]BioShock Infinite[/FONT][FONT=Verdana], [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Crysis 3[/FONT][FONT=Verdana], [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Far Cry 3[/FONT][FONT=Verdana], and [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Tomb Raider[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]. [/FONT]

I disagree here somewhat.
Only up until very recently has AMD made noticeable strides.

In the past few GPU wars, AMD drivers have had considerably more problems, bugs and fixes, if just looking at the patch notes alone.
Throughout several tech forums I am apart of, more people with AMD rigs ran into more issues on average when playing all types of games old and new (including me, with several AMD builds, and I know what I'm doing). Both companies have had issues, yes, but Nvidia's suite was always smoother, even if talking about just the installation/stability issues of Catalyst alone.
In the past 12 months AMD has made major strides and you can tell its very close, but AMD needs to be more consistent, and still to this day has significant frame time issues with its GPU's.

More problems hmm, I would love to see these problems because when I can google nVidia driver killing video card and actually come up with a ton of results and come up with nothing for AMD drive killing video card, then theres something wrong here.

Don't believe me, here's an easy one Link
Not enough here's another instance Link
Still not enough? Here's a third Link

That was just the first page of a google search, just because when AMD releases a driver, they release a huge driver that fixes tons of things and adds support/improves game performance all in one big update, that does not make it worse. Nvidia has a patch come out it seems like multiple times a month sometimes, which is very hard to keep up with my laptop constantly popping up "Nvidia WHQL Driver 320.49 is available for download".

Both companies share issues with AMD being just slow to release stuff while NVidia shoves things out so fast without testing enough and causes incidents like above, but whether one prefers one or the other comes down to opinion. Nvidia control panel can be easier to use for things like setting up a game profile where as setting up multi-monitor (Eyefinity for AMD, NVidia Surround for Nvidia) AMD is much easier. As for crashing and "Bugs", I don't see either program constantly crashing or failing or really any crashes.

More problems hmm, I would love to see these problems because when I can google nVidia driver killing video card and actually come up with a ton of results .
Which is a silly response with irrelevant information, a common theme from you. That issue was recent so of course there will significant results for it. Mostly a user issue anyway with extreme overclocks.
Sorry if I cut around or missed something I don't pay much attention to your posts/read past the first sentence but your sig quote is perfect for you.

Which is a silly response with irrelevant information, a common theme from you. That issue was recent so of course there will significant results for it. Mostly a user issue anyway with extreme overclocks.
Sorry if I cut around or missed something I don't pay much attention to your posts/read past the first sentence but your sig quote is perfect for you.
Yet your only response is one website saying the same quote you keep stored and constantly post on every thread where there's even a hint of amd talk.

Relevant information???? Are you kidding, a video card that costs 800 bucks burning up is not relevant information yet your little quote from one website is relevant????

Oh ok I'm sorry, apparently not likin the way a control center and a few "bugs" as you say there are tons of without showing any is worse than an 800 dollar card and other reports from different cards bricking and dieing. I guess that's not relevant, let's talk more about the style of the control centers, that definitely more important lol.

Back