Nvidia GeForce 4 MX-440

We would need to know your operating system.
MS XP + SP2, I found its specific off the guy at nVidia, tried to install it but always freezes at a midpoint in the installation. Tried doing this several times, but always freezes - and still gives that laggy graphics look.

Did you uninstall the old driver first from Add and Remove Programs?

You need to uninstall it from Add and Remove Programs. Uninstalling it in the Device Manager only disconnects it but doesn't get rid of it. It will automatically reinstall upon restarting Windows. So installing graphics drivers on top of each other can create conflicts.

You need to uninstall it from Add and Remove Programs. Uninstalling it in the Device Manager only disconnects it but doesn't get rid of it. It will automatically reinstall upon restarting Windows. So installing graphics drivers on top of each other can create conflicts.

Okay give me a few minutes, I'll have to restart her.

I've uninstalled the driver from Add & Remove programs. Restarted it, and it hasn't reinstalled. Did you mean, how the wizard opens up to find a driver from a CD? That didn't work as I didn't have the disk.

So I went in and installed the nVidia driver again, and it froze. Whenever I restart,it is about 5 minutes, before it freezes again.

No, I wasn't referring to the wizard. Normally, you cancel the wizard and install the driver by double clicking on the driver file or use the Run box.

Just in case, go here for your graphics driver: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us. Just fill in the blanks for your card and OS. Is it the same one you downloaded before?

Download the freeware program Ccleaner and clean the registry. Like before, uninstall the driver that you tried to install again through Add and Remove. Then install the new driver again.

No, I wasn't referring to the wizard. Normally, you cancel the wizard and install the driver by double clicking on the driver file or use the Run box.

Just in case, go here for your graphics driver: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us. Just fill in the blanks for your card and OS. Is it the same one you downloaded before?

Download the freeware program Ccleaner and clean the registry. Like before, uninstall the driver that you tried to install again through Add and Remove. Then install the new driver again.

I've downloaded a similar one that you prescribed to me (its 82mb instead of the 94 you prescribed). I actually installed that on top previously and also tried to install the specific driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html,

Edit: it keeps freezing before I have the chance to uninstall it in Add or Remove programs. Ok I'll also try ccleaner

Edit: it freezes, so would you recommend that I format the thing? If so, whats the best way to format it? (without losing all the data, pics, music etc...)

The driver you linked to is the one you should be installing, IMO.

When you say format, do you mean reinstall Windows? Formatting the hard drive is done during the installation of Windows and will wipe out everything on the drive.

What you could do is try a repair install using the Windows CD. This is not using the recovery console but a repair. A repair should not wipe your data but you should back up your data as a precaution. Do you know how to perform a repair install?

The driver you linked to is the one you should be installing, IMO.

When you say format, do you mean reinstall Windows? Formatting the hard drive is done during the installation of Windows and will wipe out everything on the drive.

What you could do is try a repair install using the Windows CD. This is not using the recovery console but a repair. A repair should not wipe your data but you should back up your data as a precaution. Do you know how to perform a repair install?

Yeh I just thought of formatting it to resolve the freezing issue. Any other suggestions other than this? But I really don't want to format, because I've already formatted it 4 times last month - unless its necessary. There's a few things I could do, repair and reinstall? Which is best, so that I don't have the task of reinstalling everything. Apparently I can vack up my files in Safe mode? How do I enter that? Thanks

To get into Safe Mode hit the F8 key a few times while the PC is booting before Windows starts. Google for some guides on how to perform a repair install of Windows XP. If the repair does not solve your problem, you can always perform a clean install of Windows.

To get into Safe Mode hit the F8 key a few times while the PC is booting before Windows starts. Google for some guides on how to perform a repair install of Windows XP. If the repair does not solve your problem, you can always perform a clean install of Windows.

Unfortunately, I attempted to repair it, or reinstall XP and in the process of it reinstalling, with 34 minutes to go, the computer freezes. I've resetted it twice and it still freezes at 34 minutes to go. Such a tragedy. Any ways to abort the reinstall?

When installing Windows, are you doing a quick format or a full format? If you are doing a full format, is it returning any errors? If so, the hard drive might be bad. If not, there might be something wrong with the RAM. Can you try to install with only one stick installed at a time? If one doesn't work, try the other.

BTW, there is no need to quote my post if your answer is the next post. You only need to quote if you are referring to just a part of my post OR to an older post in the thread.

Don't know whether its a quick or full format. No returning errors, just freeze. Hard drive has gone ever since with XP installed on it. Don't think anything is wrong with the RAM except that its 512 mb. What do you mean stick?

Inserted Xp disc, couldn't enter repair - because there was apparently there was an administrator password, which I doubt, so went into the set up mode where it tried to reinstall and it froze.

You have to select a quick format or a full format during the install of Windows so are you saying you don't remember which you selected or did you even get that far?

RAM stick = RAM module.

Is your hard drive SATA or IDE?

Didn't select either of them. just went into: set up windows xp > repair installation setup , atm its loading "set up is loading files" . dont know whether its sata or ide, but it could be ide

Okay. I was talking about a full install of Windows and you were talking about a repair.

ok, I've just entered fresh install and quick formatted my second harddrive (partition)

ok the computer is now alive, soon the graphics driver will be installed. updates soon.

edit: so i tried reinstalling it, but it freezes like last time - it even asked to overwrite previous files, surprised there were even graphics drivers installed before then. its the 42mb one. Uinstall in "Add & Remove"? or too risky, it'll end up frozen again?

How do I delete the second operating system? That one is corrupted. The screen is black and it has:

[Please select operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Press up or down to select.

Press F8 to troubleshoot]

It's asking to overwrite existing files probably for the old corrupted Windows installation. You should be booting to the new partition and installing the new graphics driver to the new installation of Windows.

If you've already saved everything you wanted from the old corrupted drive, you can go to Disk Management and format the old partition which will erase everything on it.

Please use the Edit button instead of adding consecutive new posts.

In the System control panel go to the Advanced tab, and click settings on Startup and recovery. Set the timeout to 0 for the one you select that works (probably the top one in the pulldown menu - well it is the top one if you select the top one on boot).

I think something else is more seriously wrong than just your video drivers though... Like mailpup has mentioned, either hard drive or RAM may be at fault. Or I suppose you could have a dying graphics card. I still think you should give an older driver a shot, like in my link above. There is no real reason that I can think of to be running anything above about the 60 series (and probably 50 really). Back in the day the driver numbers were really related to the card series. So the GF2s had the 20s, 3s 30s, ect. Sure you could run higher on the card, but there was no extra performance gain, and in many cases a performance loss.

mailpup - I don't think the only way to get that option at startup is to install over an old copy, I think if you don't reconstruct the partitions that happens because the MBR may not get wiped... I've had that happen recently to my GF when she installed server 2008 clean over an OLD corrupt XPMCE install.. At least I think thats what she did :)

Perhaps it would have been better to reinstall Windows and eliminate the corrupt installation by combining partitions or repartitioning, depending on what the OP wanted.

BTW, until the OP's last post I didn't realize there was more than one partition.

Unfortunately, I attempted to repair it, or reinstall XP and in the process of it reinstalling, with 34 minutes to go, the computer freezes. I've resetted it twice and it still freezes at 34 minutes to go. Such a tragedy. Any ways to abort the reinstall?

Hi.. I just quickly skimmed the thread so apologies if i missed other relevant detail... but fyi your "34 minute" problem is telling.. So as others have suggested i also think it might indicate you have some other more fundamental hardware problem that's causing the problem or contributing to it

fyi. See Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining if it applies...

/* EDIT */
you might also try disconnecting all un-needed hardware other the minimum essential. And do you have an internal card reader? i've seen a couple times where they've been the source of the problem.. (don't know if true here but disconnect if possible)

Back