Nvidia Geforce 9800 Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

RX_Queen

Hello :)

Please excuse my slightly confused and newbish post! :S

I am having a few problems with my new graphics card and I was wondering if someone could give me a clue as to what it is?

For Xmas I asked for an upgrade and what I received was a Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT, which is very nice, but I had concerns about whether or not it would fit with my now rather out-of-date system. Surely enough after playing around with it for a couple of days I have discovered it crashes every now and again. The picture will simply freeze, the graphics appear warped or barely recognizable and I am unable to do anything other than manually shut my PC down.

I am by no means knowledgeable with computers, but I had a read around and decided it might be an over-heating issue. I set the card fan to run at 80% and monitored the temperature. As it never goes above 50c I now know that wasn't the problem. What I think it may be is my lack of power. The PSU I have (I had a look at it and all I know is it was made by Dell) only provides 375 watts. I've read that you need about 550 for the card to work well as it's apparently very power-hungry, but then I've also read that the drivers are pretty poor (the one I'm using is v.180.48) and the card can crash even on a good system. So I've been left slightly confused and unsure as to what to do.

Is there any way of knowing for sure if it's a lack of power, and if that is the most likely cause what kind of PSU should I be investing in that will work well? I'm worried in case I buy one and find it isn't compatible.

What little info I do know about my system is this:

Dell DXPO51
XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
1.5 GB RAM

Thanks in advance for your time! :)

Hi Queen
Go to the {START} button then {RUN}

Type in DXDIAG and save the log file and post it here please
WOLF

Dose your PC have sound inputs/outputs on the motherboard or a PCI card.
Right click on MyComputer and go to properties, HARDWARE tab, then Device Manger
the name and Model is what i am looking for to get the correct drives. Yours are Date and Size: 6/14/2005 22:40:08, 180864 bytes
Sigmatel AUDIO

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SigmaTel Audio
Driver Version: 5.10.4568.0000 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 6/14/2005 22:40:08, 180864 bytes

DOWNLOAD and run

Hijackthis 2.0.2 No need to fix yet, but just save the log file and post it here.

Thanks again for reply!

hdaudio/func_01ven_8384DEV_7680SUBSYS_1

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you needed?

And do you mean is my sound card attached to the motherboard or separate? I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know. The cards that are in my PC I can identify as RAM and graphics only.

I've searched around in an attempt to find out exactly what my PC came with, but it's proving hard. I've had a look on Dell too, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere as to updating drivers. I entered my service tag twice (3DFKZ1J) and got an error message both times.

save these to your desktop.

Bios Update

Sigmatel Drivers

Intel(R) Viiv(TM) software.

I see your system board can possibly use the ATI 1950xtx crossfire dual videocard also.

go into the hardware manager again and uninstall BOTH
video {new 9800} and sound card drivers. {only the hdaudio/func_01ven_8384DEV_7680SUBSYS_1} not any other sound components.
then reboot
when it ask's you to install drives for the hardware it finds CANCEL

run the bios set XP051A07.exe and reboot { CHECKSUM } test should be OK to proceed to ver A07 and it should asj you to reboot
when it ask's you to install drives for the hardware it finds again CANCEL

Install the Sigmatel Drivers R114282.exe
Install your new Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT Drivers
install the Intel Viiv Drivers R114863.exe

re-install directX 10

Dell does not carry the upgrade but the power suppley is in the link below showing compatibility and spec's it is a 500-550 PS
Your system model is the XPS400

http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_500_Dell/index.html
SLI certified and will power your card
Original Price: $99.99
You Save: $15.00
$84.99
($59.99 after $25.00 Mail-InRebate )http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703016

If you have a question feel free to ask.

Thank you! I shall be sure to try that all tonight and hopefully invest in the new PSU in the near future and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again! :)

I downloaded all files and everything seems to have gone well, except I couldn't download the intel one. It said my PC wasn't compatible with Intel Viiv. Also the DirectX wasn't downloaded as apparently I already have it.

Please excuse three posts in a row, but I thought it a good idea to update on recent issues.

My system is now crashing more often and at much shorter intervals, although at least now I get an error message as opposed to the old freezing and then manual shut down.

What I receive is this: 'NMI PARITY CHECK/MEMORY PARITY ERROR' and something about the system being halted.

I've checked on Admin Tools for information but can see nothing other than two corrupted logs roughly at the time of the last crash that may or may not be related.

DELL memmory Here

This will get 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) Memory Module Kit for XPS 400 / Dimension

it was the bios update that help with the error handling i am sure.
YOU ARE GREAT doing just fine in my book ;)

WOLF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back