nVidia vid card issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium 4 CPU
2.93 GHz
512 MB RAM
Intel 82915G/GV/910 GL Express Chipset Family

I installed a BFG GeForce 6200 OC card today.

This one most likely won't give my Power Supply a problem, but it still doesn't work.

I followed the instructions carefully.

-I uninstalled my Intel GFX Drivers, and powered down, while touching the metal frame.

-I opened the case, and looked for the PCI slot. I inserted the vid card firmly, it locked into place.

-I closed the case, and booted.

I get some dialog about the card, generic stuff.

My monitor is connected to the card, and I'm at a very low resolution.

I run the CD, and install the drivers.

Halfway through the installation, my screen goes black, and my PC just locks up.

I had to do a hard shutdown, which pissed me off because I haven't had to do that in months.

I rebooted, and installed the new drivers from the nVidia site, which I saved to my PC last night.

They installed just fine, and I did the mandatory restart.

Black screen. That's all I can see with the vid card now. My Intel works fine, but the nVidia doesn't.

So I go into Display Properties, and check it out.

Windows recognizes both of my cards, but I can't even choose to use the nVidia. It's settings are very low, and trying to change them is futile, they just reset to the default, and it switches back to my Intel.

fvc1gs4.jpg

fvc2sr9.jpg

Should I attempt disabling the onboard card via Device Manager? Theoretically, if I do, when I reboot, my nVidia card will work.

But how does that explain the screwed up resolution, and the fact that I can't change it?

Can someone tell me what will happen if I disable my onboard card through Device Manager?

I'm guessing my screen will go black, and I'll have to shut down.

Theoretically, when I reboot, I can see Windows through my nVidia.

Can someone help me here? I don't wanna risk disabling the card, and then not being able to see anything via any card, and thus not being able to log into my Windows account.

Also, when I boot windows, I can't see anything until Windows is finished loading. Then, I can see my account, and log in.

the most obvious problem I see is that your 300w psu is inadequate. You need at least 400w (450 recommended) for that motherboard and videocard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back