OCOSMOS launches two tablets with Windows 7, Oak Trail

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Korean electronics firm OCOSMOS has unveiled its OCS1 and OCS9, two new tablets with Intel's Oak Trail Atom platform. The former measures 5 inches with a 1024x600 display while the latter has a larger 9-inch 1024x768 screen, and despite those different form factors, both have similar features.

Each runs Windows 7 and has up to 64GB of built-in flash storage as well as support for up to 64GB SD Cards. They're also outfitted with a 1.3-megapixel camera in the front and a 3.1-megapixel camera in the back, a mic for video calls, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, as well as gaming buttons.

OCOSMOS is really stressing the gaming focus of both devices, as the 5-inch OCS1 appears to have two D-pad-like controls on either side of the display as well as two shoulder buttons on the top. Likewise, 9-inch OCS9 has a detachable controller with a virtual keyboard and similar gaming controls.

It's interesting that OCOSMOS is at least the second company at CES to unveil a mobile gaming device utilizing Intel's Oak Trail Atoms (see Razer's Switchblade). The company's press release quotes an Engadget editor saying the OCS1 can run StarCraft II, and that's impressive (albeit impractical) if true.

Permalink to story.

And the million dollar question is:

How would you play PC games on the OCS1 device?

And I mean, play them the right way. I assume the W7 on this device will detect this device's hardware as a gamepad of some sort (and I assume the gamepad-supporting game will follow suit). But how would you, for example, play BFBC2 on this little thing if that were indeed the case?

Or why do I keep asking these questions if I know that the answer is simply that this is just another gimmick? (And yet another question.)

@Lawfer:

Well, maybe it would be good for some older games and Nintendo emulators as well as maybe PSP/PS1 games (it looks like it may have shoulder buttons?)

I guess you could even play NDS on there too. I doubt you would even want to consider playing any face paced games like BFBC2... wait, you did consider it.

Guest said:
@Lawfer:

Well, maybe it would be good for some older games and Nintendo emulators as well as maybe PSP/PS1 games (it looks like it may have shoulder buttons?)

I guess you could even play NDS on there too. I doubt you would even want to consider playing any face paced games like BFBC2... wait, you did consider it.

These devices presumably run StarCraft II without problems. This is Windows 7 in its entirety, not a watered down version of it, meaning any PC game can be run. Now, how can they be played is the question I tried to find an answer to in my earlier comment.

I simply used BFBC2 as an example to inquire that, if that device can play a complex (controller-wise) strategy game such as StarCraft II, how would it be able to handle precision-based games, such as first-person shooters; or face-paced games as you seem to call them...

@Lawfer:

Alright, there was ONE typo in my earlier post; don't chastise me for it. Go through and look at all your posts, I am sure you have errors, too. Look at the post you just made, "such as first-person shooters; or face-paced games as you seem to call them... ". You do not use a semi-colon before the word 'or', nor do you use it before: and; but; nor; yet. But, you can use them in lists, as I just have done. Basically, you do not use a semi-colon before a conjunction. Remember "Conjunction junction, what's your function" from Schoolhouse Rock?

From what Slashgear says (the weblink within the techspot article), OCS1 ships with 1GB RAM expandable to 2GB. OCS9 doesnt have a specification for RAM, neither have specifics on CPU clocks. They can say "capable of running the most demanding online PC games, MMORPG, 3D, productivity and social networking applications"*, and you can believe them, fine. But, if you believed it could run well enough to actually do anything with, doubtful with such low amounts of RAM. Let alone control configurations. I could "run the most demanding PC games" on a crappy old AMD K6 chip, but with crappy responses and errors.

* http://www.slashgear.com/ocosmos-osc1-tc-and-osc9-get-official-tiny-oak-trail-gaming-tablets-07124718/

Append:
Back onto what you have said. Yeah, I would like to know how the human-computer interfacing will actually be like.

I thought I hit 'Preview Post' but instead submitted, maybe I should create an account... Oh, how I loathe creating useless accounts.

Guest said:
@Lawfer:

Alright, there was ONE typo in my earlier post; don't chastise me for it. Go through and look at all your posts, I am sure you have errors, too. Look at the post you just made, "such as first-person shooters; or face-paced games as you seem to call them... ". You do not use a semi-colon before the word 'or', nor do you use it before: and; but; nor; yet. But, you can use them in lists, as I just have done. Basically, you do not use a semi-colon before a conjunction. Remember "Conjunction junction, what's your function" from Schoolhouse Rock?

From what Slashgear says (the weblink within the techspot article), OCS1 ships with 1GB RAM expandable to 2GB. OCS9 doesnt have a specification for RAM, neither have specifics on CPU clocks. They can say "capable of running the most demanding online PC games, MMORPG, 3D, productivity and social networking applications"*, and you can believe them, fine. But, if you believed it could run well enough to actually do anything with, doubtful with such low amounts of RAM. Let alone control configurations. I could "run the most demanding PC games" on a crappy old AMD K6 chip, but with crappy responses and errors.

* http://www.slashgear.com/ocosmos-os...ny-oak-trail-gaming-tablets-07124718/[/quote]

So, I supposedly chastised you about your typo? So what do you call what you just did? Hahaha, I'm appalled at your reaction. What I wrote at the end of my comment was merely a reflection of the ending words in your first comment. You know what's funny mate, is that I'm picturing you as you vehemently proofread your comment so that you can prove your empty point. The semicolon was clearly a typo. I know you are not supposed to use it before: and, but, or, nor, for, yet. No reason to make a whole paragraph to teach me grammar mate.

Back on topic. I'm sorry, but I trust Engadget. If they said they saw StarCraft II running, I believe it. Now, it's not a matter of what I believe or not; it's a matter of knowing what this device was designed for, which was for gaming. This little device sports the Oak Trail platform with either the single-core N455 or D425, running 1.6+ Ghz, and capable of playing 1080p video (which I presume is thanks to an Nvidia Ion 2). I assure you, the RAM on the device is the least impacting factor regarding the performance of the game(s). This tablet sports an Intel Atom processor, a bit slower and more power-consuming N270 processor, it has Nvidia Ion (1), it also has 1GB of RAM, but as you can see, it can run StarCraft II pretty much better than many netbooks and/or laptops. Seemingly, there's no lag whatsoever on the actual game... unless you count the capacitive touchscreen's sluggish sensor performance as lag.

As I implied earlier, the question is not about if it can run it; it clearly does. What seems impractical –as the article briefly mentioned– is that very fact. And the reason why it is impractical is simply because it lacks the controls to properly play the games it's able to run.

Back