Oculus included 'creepy' messages in thousands of Touch controllers by mistake

Bubbajim

Staff
What just happened? In what was meant to be a little joke between Oculus and their Dev community, Oculus Touch controllers were built with hidden messages inside their casings such as, “The Masons Were Here.” But Oculus co-founder Nate Mitchell has confirmed that the messages were “accidentally” included in thousands of controllers destined for consumers.

Easter eggs have been a part of the gaming world since 1979 when the Atari 2600 game Adventure shipped with hidden messages imploring players to hunt more secrets. They are usually silly messages or hidden treats that reward players for exploring every nook and cranny of a game.

Sometimes, hardware vendors get in on the action, which is what’s come to light this week as Facebook’s Head of VR Product, Nate Mitchell, has confirmed that thousands of new Oculus Touch controllers have been made with Easter eggs of their own.

Hidden inside the Touch controllers are messages like, “This Space For Rent”, and “The Masons Were Here.” The controllers haven’t yet made it to customers, as they are for the new Oculus Quest and Rift S VR headsets. Mitchell confirmed via Twitter that this was intended to be a joke included only in the prototypes. Indeed, the Dev versions had extra messages hidden, including “Big Brother is Watching” and “Hi iFixit!”

While some outlets are reporting this as an offensive mistake, most people responding on Twitter seem to appreciate the mild gallows-humor of the messages. The only one to draw much condemnation is “Big Brother is Watching” – which is perhaps to be expected, given that this is a Facebook product we’re talking about.

Mitchell didn’t quite apologize for the mistake, but did say that their inclusion was “inappropriate.” How inappropriate it is for a gaming-focused company to include jokes in their hardware is up for debate. Evidently it’s not bad enough to recall the controllers, which instead might just become one of the first VR collector’s item.

Permalink to story.

Most people buying this product aren't easily creeped out, being VR creeps already.

I've been an IT professional for about 25 years now, and I still have little to no interest in the VR stuff, as I consider it hazardous to one's health. Maybe years from now when it becomes a mature product, with something like 8K@120FPS per eye, I will try, but not today.

Last edited:
Juvenile, sophomoric, and unprofessional? You bet. But genuinely creepy? You'd have to have no understanding of the people who make, or play, games to take these messages literally.

Most people buying this product aren't easily creeped out, being VR creeps already.

I've been an IT professional for about 25 years now, and I still have little to no interest in the VR stuff, as I consider it hazardous to one's health. Maybe years from now when it becomes a mature product, with something like 8K@120FPS per eye, I will try, but not today.

Maybe stick to IT and not healthcare... but it might just be that you're an old fuddy duddy... I'm also in IT for 25 years now and I love my VR headset... and my healthcare is no better or worse for it... and on topic... I for one enjoy the fact that manufacturers put this in... it's not creepy. it's fun. Anyone disagreeing might want to get out the "triggered age" and move on.

Back