OCZ unveils RevoDrive 3 and RevoDrive Hybrid

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

As rumored last week, OCZ has unveiled its latest RevoDrive at Computex today. Packing dual SandForce SF-2281 controllers (the same chip in the Vertex 3), the RevoDrive 3 touts read and write speeds of up to 900MB/s and 700MB/s, with up to 120,000 IOPS on 4KB random writes. If that isn't quick enough for you, a second version called the RevoDrive 3 X2 doubles the SF-2281 count to achieve 1.5GB/s reads, 1.2GB/s writes, and 200,000 IOPS 4KB transfers.

Both PCIe x4 drives should be available in capacities ranging from 120GB to 960GB with MSRPs starting at $699 ($5.82/GB). If correct, that's pricier than the previous generation. The 240GB RevoDrive X2 retailed for $680 when we reviewed it last December. Besides speed improvements, OCZ has tweaked the third-gen RevoDrive's SandForce and onboard RAID controllers to support TRIM -- a functionality that generally isn't available RAID-enabled SSDs.

ocz revo

Alongside the customary performance refresh, OCZ has officially entered the hybrid storage market. The company's RevoDrive Hybrid effectively straps a 2.5-inch hard drive to the side of the RevoDrive 3. As we've seen with Seagate's Momentus XT and Intel's Smart Response Technology, the RevoDrive Hybrid relies on a mechanical drive for storage and uses flash memory for caching purposes. This is accomplished with Dataplex software from Nvelo.

According to TechReport, Nvelo claims its technology outperforms the solution Intel offers with its Z68 chipset, but we'll reserve final judgment until independent benchmarks surface. Sustained transfers supposedly peak at 575MB/s reads and 500MB/s writes with 30,000 IOPS on 4GB random writes. The RevoDrive Hybrid will be available in July from $350 with configurations including a 60GB SSD and 500GB HDD combo, as well as a 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

Permalink to story.

Haha, that hybrid drive looks like such a low-tech cobbling of random spare drives and circuit boards it's laughable. Hope they put an enclosure or something on it to make it look more professional.

Anyways, those are some amazing numbers for the RD3 X2 model. I'd love to have one to test, but I'd probably have little use for its performance besides benchmarking to enhance mah epeen ;)

Its an internal hard drive I don't think it needs a cover :S I cannot wait to check the RevoDrive 3 out, should be a real weapon.

Yeah god forbid it doesn't look professional..cause then its definitely worthless. That reminds me of apple for some reason..

Whats laughable herpaderp is you probably don't even know how to solder much less engineer an entire storage device (or any piece of computer hardware) yet you're critiquing and making fun of a product before its even available based on a single picture...

Hahaha at the people thinking they are experts by seeing a single picture of something and judging it before its even been real-world tested..but then again thats why you have an account and are commenting on techspot right?..ha ha ha..

Back