Odd HDD, XP and RAM issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Intel DP35DP mobo, WD Raptor 150gb with two identical Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 512mb sticks. I couldn't get winXP to see the harddrive whenever both sticks were in and it would crash during installation. But as soon as I removed the second stick, it immediately was able to install winXP with both PATA and SATA. Now that XP is installed, I put the other stick back in and it crashes whenever it boots up. I take it back out and it's fine.

I've tested the ram by trading it out with the other. I also put it in all the other slots. I have the Ram timing set to 5-5-5-18 (auto-configured through BIOS). I tried 6-6-6-18 but that crashed as well.

What happens when the Ram timings are set lower? I don't think that motherboard can stand what you are doing. I would reset everything to normal and see what happens. Otherwise, I think you have a defective memory module or a defective memory slot.

Maybe I can't stand what it's doing. hehe, i'm j/k. thanks for the reply. I'll set the timing lower when I get off work and see what happens. I thought about the 2nd slot being defective but the Bios always sees it and I had additionally run some memory tests with Hiren's before I had installed winXP. A defective memory module sounds right up my alley, though. I'm already on my 2nd mobo and 3rd graphics card, might as well make them par.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back