Odd mpeg video audio sync problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

Like the title says. I load up any mpeg video (except divx) and after about a minute or 2 the audio and the video go out of sync then if I can stand it long enough (another minute or 2) the video glitches and then the audio is synced again fine for another couple minutes. .avi and .asf files don't do this so it has to be something in my mpeg codec but I don't know of a place to get a new codec. Its a pain to have to burn them onto a video cd just to watch without the syncronization problem.

WinXP
WMP 8
WMP 6.4

I had this problem.

I am sorry, but I can't tell you what made it go away, because I honestly don't know. I have been through about 3 motherboards and CPUs since then...

It was something to do with my hard drive being accessed whilst trying to play a movie from there.....

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Have you tried changing WMP buffering? I think default is 5 seconds, you could try 10.
Thats an idea. I'll give it a shot this weekend when I get back from home. The wierd thing is though that it doesn't have problems with other video formats, only mpeg (believe mpeg1 and mpeg2 share the problem).

I too, have suffered from simliar problems. I still have many unexplained ones and I'm afraid I can't offer you a definitive answer.

Perhaps trying a different player will help?

Originally posted by Rick
Perhaps trying a different player will help?
Does anyone know of a good mpeg video player other than the ones made by Micro$oft. I believe that VirtualDub plays them without problem but I don't want to use it for several reasons - no full screen - no fast forward - and creates an output file (maybe that can be turned off). So aside from VirtualDub anyone know of something that you can skip to parts in the movie, watch fullscreen, and is independent of microsoft?

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Have you tried changing WMP buffering? I think default is 5 seconds, you could try 10.
I checked up on that. That appears to be "network" buffering only, rather than a straight buffering from my hard drive. My hard drive/controller/processor/video card should all be plenty fast enough to keep up with the mpegs I'm playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back