Odd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

Hey everyone, I built my friend a PC a couple months ago and now it is having a weird problem where he has to turn the power switch in the back of the power supply on and off for the computer to turn on with the push of the it's tower's button. Only sometimes does it do this, it turns on normal about half of the time. Could the PSU be the culprit?

Oh yeah here are the specs if at all important:

Antec Smart Power 500w psu
Epox 9npaJ mobo
evga 6800gt
2gb Corsair Value Select memory
Athlon 64 3700+ 939

Yes the power supply could be the problem. Try resetting the CMOS. Sometimes the power on signal gets messed up coming from the motherboard

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I will test this ASAP and get back with you, it might take a week being that he lives far away, but we will see. First I will do that, then if that doesnt work, replace the PSU...if that doesn't fix it, I should replace the motherboard next?

sellmesanity said:
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I will test this ASAP and get back with you, it might take a week being that he lives far away, but we will see. First I will do that, then if that doesnt work, replace the PSU...if that doesn't fix it, I should replace the motherboard next?

I don't think the motherboard will be bad, but if the CMOS reset and the power supply replacement don't correct the problem, you only have the motherboard left. Try checking the power connections to the motherboard before you do anything else

Has it occurred to you that you might have a lousy start-button at the front of the PC?
These are normally very cheap bits of junk, that easily malfunction!
Nothing so drastic as a bad motherboard, perhaps the connecting cable (switch-mobo) has come loose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back