OLPC XO tablet will launch exclusively at Walmart next week

Shawn Knight

Staff member
One Laptop Per Child’s (OLPC) XO tablet will launch exclusively at Walmart on July 16. The hybrid notebook / tablet is further expected to debut at many top retailers in the US, Europe and in North and South America soon...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/53176-olpc-xo-tablet-will-launch-exclusively-at-walmart-next-week.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

MilwaukeeMike

Whether or not it becomes a huge player in the tablet market depends on a lot of different metrics, price included. Odds are, it won?t overthrow slates like the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire on the low end but it could easily become a hit among young children.
I thought OLPC was a charity thing... for education in 3rd world countries. It'll be tough selling it at stores in the 1st world. LeapPad makes a pretty good child's toy that's similar to a tablet and runs educational software (no internet though). And I'll bet anyone with access to ebay can get a Nook tablet on the cheap these days.

Skidmarksdeluxe

Whether or not it becomes a huge player in the tablet market depends on a lot of different metrics, price included. Odds are, it won?t overthrow slates like the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire on the low end but it could easily become a hit among young children.
I thought OLPC was a charity thing... for education in 3rd world countries. It'll be tough selling it at stores in the 1st world. LeapPad makes a pretty good child's toy that's similar to a tablet and runs educational software (no internet though). And I'll bet anyone with access to ebay can get a Nook tablet on the cheap these days.
I have to agree with you comment on 3rd world counties. The vast majority of people in rural areas in country don't have an inkling what a tablet is (even of the pharmaceutical kind) and have no use for the internet. It's a shame really.