Omega nVidia drivers news

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

I don't know if anyone here uses Omega video drivers, but I found this at Driver Heaven, and thought I'd post it. Looks like there will be no more nVidia Omega's. I've used both the nVidia and the ATi versions of his drivers, and have found them to work quite well. I'm using the ATi's on my computer now. Omegadrive's site can be found a Driver Heaven.
DriverHeaven.net News

Omegadrive and Nvidia Drivers
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003
at 9:00 AM by Zardon - View Article Comments

Alot has been going on behind the scenes recently guys with Nvidia regarding Omegas drivers and it looks like Omega might be forced to stop making them. This is due to Nvidia hard handed tactics and not wanting anyone to alter or touch their driver code in any way. Omega has even had to remove Nvidia logos from his site or legal action will be taken. This could possibly if taken further close these sites, so we really have no option.

Im sorry for the bad news, but unfortunately it looks like Nvidia Omega drivers will no longer be developed.

Looks like ATi doesn't care if OmegaDrive modifies there drivers. Turns out they are releasing new drivers in advance to him so he can have them ready on the official date of release. Here's another statement from Driver Heaven.
ATI's statement about Omega's DH ATI drivers
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003
at 2:03 PM by Zardon - View Article Comments

I just had a chat with Terry over in Kentucky, he is at the Million Man Lan event. And I was asking him about any concerns he may have about Omegas drivers. He wanted to get this out in the open.

Terry: " We are very pleased that gaming enthusiasts are interested in CATALYST and ATI product. We appreciate the efforts that Omega puts into providing alternatives to hardware enthusiasts. As such, Omega is one of the original members of the CATALYST beta testing program, and recently we have worked with him to help him provide Omega drivers on the same day as CATALYST's get posted. Although CATALYST is fully tested and fully supported by ATI, I dont feel that enthusiasts (that understand the risks involved) having an alternative to CATALYST is a bad thing. Thanks for the support to the ATI community Omega!"

Thats a really good attitude by ATI. Maybe nVidia should take note and stop being so heavy handed. Maybe they just don't like Omega modifying/discovering the built-in benchmark cheats in their drivers.

After all the talk about OmegaDrive not releasing anymore nVidia drivers and what appeared to be threats by nVidia, looks like they have had a change of heart. They are saying now they just had an issue with one particular set of Omega drivers and his using there logo on his page. The full story is at Driver Heaven. I'll bet "personal opinion" kind of had something to do with this.
NVIDIA STATEMENT:

There has been alot of discussion recently regarding 'Omega drivers', much of which is based on conjecture or on personal opinion. Although we cannot discuss the situation in detail, we do want to provide some clarification to NVIDIA's position on 3rd party developed drivers. We do, as active members of the 3D community, understand the need and popularity of 3rd party drivers but we have been reluctantly forced into taking this action. However this action is limited to a single occurrence and does not represent a company policy as to future thrid party drivers.

Nvidia Statement: ( in Nvidiaese)

There has been alot of discussion recently regarding 'Omega drivers', much of which is based on conjecture or on personal opinion. Although we cannot discuss the situation in detail, we do want to provide some clarification to NVIDIA's position on 3rd party developed drivers. We do, as active members of the 3D community, understand the need and popularity of 3rd party drivers but we have been reluctantly forced into taking this action. However this action is limited to a single occurrence and does not represent a company policy as to future thrid party drivers.

Trnaslation ( in english)

We didnt realize how much bad publicity our usual heavy handed tactics would bring us in this instance. so we are weaseling out and will now claim it was only a specific instance of one set of drivers and the use of our logo on a page. Doesnt everybody immeadiately sic their lawyers on someone rahter than simply contacting them about issues? we know we DO!

:eek:

By all the missteps they've made lately it sounds like they got a new hardnose management that isn't going to take anything buy "My way or the Highway" in there and he's going to do some serious damage to their relationship to their customerbase.

It's probably some how related to all the bad drivers they've been releasing lately. Guess they don't want amateurs to show them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back