On board sound problems - sound keeps jumping / dropping music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a PC-Chips M848 ALU V2.1 motherboard with an onboard soundcard, C-media CMI9739A 6 channel audio.
I have downloaded the latest driver from the PC chips website, as the one that came on the CD didn't work at all. I also have the AC97 Realtek drivers installed.

My problem is that if I try & play an MP3 or a DVD the sound gets really jumpy or if it's missing part of the track out. It sounds like when there is a thumbprint on a CD & it skips over it.

Now I'm new to this so it might be something simple like it is set up to play through 6 speakers or something & as I only have 2 that is the problem, if it is great but can someone tell me how to do this. If not can someone suggest some other solutions??

I'm running XP Pro.

thanks,

Onboard audio can use alot of system resources and you will get audio artifacts when there are programs running in the background, system memory is low or you have an under powered processor. Win XP Pro has alot of crap running in the background. What are your other system specs? You may want to think about getting a sound card. Good ones run $20-30.

my other specs are 3.2ghz processor, 1gig ram, 60gig & 20gig HD.

I have another problem, I thought last night about uninstalling all hardware & software relating to the sound but when I came to uninstall AC97 Realtek Drivers my machine kept restarting, so I tried to remove them via Add/Remove & the same thing keeps happening.

Any ideas??

regards to the sound card what would you recommend??

Your system is powerful enough for the onboard audio. It sounds like you may have damaged or corrupt system file. I'd back-up your important data and do a clean install of Windows.

floody said:
my other specs are 3.2ghz processor, 1gig ram, 60gig & 20gig HD.

I have another problem, I thought last night about uninstalling all hardware & software relating to the sound but when I came to uninstall AC97 Realtek Drivers my machine kept restarting, so I tried to remove them via Add/Remove & the same thing keeps happening.

Any ideas??

regards to the sound card what would you recommend??

First figure out what you are going to plug into your card. What kind of speakers, are they 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1. Not all sounds cards support 5.1 or 7.1 channels. Do you need a game port? This is for those joysticks and game pads that need that plug. Newer devices use the USB interface. If you don't need the game port, I recommend Creative's Sound Blaster Live 24bit. It supports all speaker channels up to 7.1 and costs only $20 at www.compusa.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back