One computer is slow on network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

I have about 6 computers networked and they are all wired connection. This week when I came to office, we had one computer that just became slow on getting on internet. The computer itself is running smooth. I ran anti-virus and spyware scan but could not find anything. Than I change the network cable. I even changed the NIC but that didn't help either. I have both Internet Explorer and Firefox and they both are slow so I know that there is something that is blocking the bandwidth on this computer.

I had Avast antivirus installed. I uninstalled that too. I don't have any software firewall install except the Windows firewall but I do have one hardware firewall and all the computers on the network are behind the firewall. So I know that it is not the firewall or antivirus. Can someone help me solve this problem? I am at loss now.

Hi

Slow network can be a nusiance to trace, use the tracert command to see if it is falling over at any particular node, as time takes it toll on a PC they do tend to slow down and nothing short of reinstall will ever make it better, if you have an identical PC then swap the drives over to confirm if it is a physical fault or a software fault.

regards

Two things off the top of my head

1) Swap the connections on your switch or router that the PC is plugged into with another to see if it makes a difference. If it does, since you've already replaced the cable and NIC, you've found your problem.

If not..

2) Setup a share on that machine and put a large file in it, then try to copy it from another machine and see if it is still slow.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

For the record I have been using the same Gentoo install on my machine for 7 years now.

I have already tried swapping the cable and port on the switch. This machine is also set up to share files on the network. It is very slow accessing small or large files from this machine. It is also slow on getting on the internet too. I have used both IE and Firefox but they both take some time load pages. The funny things is that when I tried speed test on speedtest.net the download speed came very low compared to upload speed. I don't know what went wrong on this machine. One day it was working fine and the next day it just became slow. The machine itself is running fine and there is any processes that is taking all the resources from CPU and Ram. There is something that is blocking the download speed only. I don't know what that is and that is why I am here to seek your expertise. Thanks.

Did you try a different slot in the system other than the one you're were using. Go into the BIOS and make sure the BIOS for PCI slot is set to FAST. If all else fails re-install the OS, if you're all as you said.

I have already tried swapping the cable and port on the switch. This machine is also set up to share files on the network. It is very slow accessing small or large files from this machine. It is also slow on getting on the internet too. I have used both IE and Firefox but they both take some time load pages. The funny things is that when I tried speed test on speedtest.net the download speed came very low compared to upload speed. I don't know what went wrong on this machine. One day it was working fine and the next day it just became slow. The machine itself is running fine and there is any processes that is taking all the resources from CPU and Ram. There is something that is blocking the download speed only. I don't know what that is and that is why I am here to seek your expertise. Thanks.

I have a couple ideas of my own,

1. Does your router ( if you have one ) have traffic shaping? It may be a good idea to check if that particular system is set to a lower bandwidth.

2. Is there any traffic shaping programs running on that system? a good way to check is by simply pressing ctrl + alt + del, then process tab and temporarily terminating any and all non OS related processes.

This is kind of 'out there', but have you tried turning off all of your switches/routers and modem and turning them back on?

I say this, because routers and switches identify and prioritize network traffic *intelligently* based on the presence of your hardware. If you turn these things off, it could fix whatever anomaly you might be experiencing.

If that still doesn't work, try repairing your winsock.

Start > Run > cmd.exe and click OK

Then type the following and hit enter after each line:
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset catalog

Restart your computer.

You said it happen out of nowhere right?

Also does the person that use that computer download things like games movies or do you monitor all of that also does anything else seem weird like the cpu, it can be malware if you like

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Come back here to this thread and Attach the log in txt format your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back