One for Mac lovers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
I know a few persons that would definitely resemble those described on this article at Wired. Without doubt Macintosh fans are the ones maintaining Apple afloat, even when they release a fancy gadget every once in a while, Macs are still pretty expensive and loyal fans have shown they are willing to pay for them…

To Mac users, Apple represents everything that Microsoft isn't. Apple innovates; Microsoft copies. Apple puts out solid products; Microsoft puts out buggy ones. Apple represents creativity and individuality; Microsoft represents business and conformity. Apple is the scrappy underdog; Microsoft the big, predatory monopoly.

Well worth a read IMHO, but I just wonder how longer will Apple survive like this? Or, perhaps they have already realized and are comfortable with the fact they have become an 'exclusive' niche.

Here's also a thread from our forums discussing the Mac platform and hardware, any Apple lovers reading this?

There are 25 million people around the world who use Macintosh computers, according to Apple. But unlike ordinary personal computers, people don't simply use Macs, they become fans. They develop a passion for the machines, which can sometimes turn into an obsession.

I AM a fan of the PC. I DO have a passion for it, and it IS an obsession....

What other computer inspires fans to get tattoos, personalized license plates, amass huge collections of ancient machines, build Mac aquariums, or proudly describe themselves as Mac fans, Mac freaks, Mac nuts? The Amiga, perhaps, but certainly not Dell, Compaq or Microsoft.

What? Am I not sufficiently into computers because I don't have an nvidia tattoo on my bottom? A licence plate that reads "M1KRO5OFT"??? And how does the author know that I don't have an ancient PC graveyard?

Whether the "PC" itself isn't a "brandname" and more of a genre of technologies doesn't matter. I am a fan of that genre.
Like a lot of Mac fans, he enjoys the feeling that he's in control of his computer, rather than Microsoft.

I think I am more in control of my machine, because I can build it from scratch, matching the components that I WANT, not what some company thinks can be crammed into a pretty coloured monitor. The above quote is capitalising on the perceived selfish and monopolistic nature of MS, completely forgetting that if I want I can install a whole host of different OSs on my machine, including Linux, FreeBSD, etc... Apple is the Mac but Microsoft is NOT the PC. At least, not completely.

I think this article is patronising. And its constant analogies of the relationship between "Mac" and "user" as being like "addict" and "drug" or "sadist" and "masochist" only leads me to believe that Mac users are even more of a bunch of sad cases than I initially thought. If the article is to be believed, that is. Which I don't think it is. I think the person who wrote this is a ***** and I think I will be e-mailing them to tell them that.

I used to use Macintosh Computers, I did all the way until I came to college in 1998 - to be honest the only reason I switched was because I could get illegal software much more easily on the PC platform than the Macintosh platform. When I left the Macintosh platform I believe we were running OS 8.1 and back then I saw nothing superior in Windows98 and the fact that in W98 you still had many programs that you needed to know DOS for really discouraged me - sure DOS isn't that hard to learn - but honestly why learn something when you can already do it without typing commands in on a Macintosh?
Now I've been using PCs since 98 and haven't played with any MacOS past 8.5 so I'm not up to speed and I can't put forth a good argument either way. Phant and others though you say
"In the end, I like all computer technology and I hate the way that certain "camps" are so closed minded. The Linux users who do not see the merit in any Microsoft products, even although there are some. And Mac users seem the worst in this. I've never dismissed a whole platform as a "piece of rubbish" because all platforms have their merits, but I have heard Mac users call the PC a "piece of rubbish" without even knowing anything about it. Mac users seem too set in their ways and too stubborn.....

....And another thing.... What's all this one mouse button and dragging the floppy to the waste-basket to eject it all about? If I want a floppy out from a drive, I damn well wanna press a button to do it, not ask the OS for permission."
that itself seems patronising, that whole eject thing was set up from the GUI to show the user has control over what the computer is doing - the user MAKES the OS eject the DISK it also lets the OS know the disk is gone.
I think many PC users are too closed minded about PCs - many on this forum, people deny they are that closed minded but really they are, use a Macintosh for a while and see if you can come up with good arguments aside from compatablilty. I'm sure you can come up with some but I bet its less than you originally though.
And that quote Julio posted
To Mac users, Apple represents everything that Microsoft isn't. Apple innovates; Microsoft copies. Apple puts out solid products; Microsoft puts out buggy ones. Apple represents creativity and individuality; Microsoft represents business and conformity. Apple is the scrappy underdog; Microsoft the big, predatory monopoly.
I believe entirely in that - without Apple Microsoft wouldn't be the thing it is today - where do you think they got the Windows95 idea from (now don't bring Xerox into this because thats gay Xerox had the idea Apple evolved it).
I'd have more to say but its 3:16am and I'm ready to go to bed.

I think just about everyone knows how I feel about Macs.. You won't see me in an Apple forum - That's for sure!

Apple uses good quality hardware for their computers, but if I can't build it, I don't want it.

Originally posted by TS | Julio

That's the best case of Apple propoganda I've seen yet.

That article does nothing more than convince me Mac users are delusional.

Not so much Apple "lovers" as Apple "junkies" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back