OnePlus 2 smartphone to have USB Type C connector

JoshuaHem

OnePlus has never espoused to be humble, with the company proclaiming their first device to be a "Flagship Killer" and telling customers to "Never Settle." Their first device packed powerful hardware, Cyanogenmod software, and stylish design into a low-cost, stock package. The OnePlus One was only available by invite at first, drumming up excitement and anticipation over the device's limited numbers. It proved popular, if somewhat controversial; consumers and critics questioned the quality of the device as well as the marketing methods used to promote it.

Surprised by their own success, OnePlus seems to be taking their slogan to heart. Not allowing themselves to be content with a single victory, they've announced a successor: the imaginatively named OnePlus Two. OnePlus seems to be taking a cautious approach, dolling out tidbits of information on their new smartphone. Their blog has been keeping customers and fans informed of progress, most recently confirming that the device will be powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 810. Today, they released another, more unique tidbit on their Twitter.

USB Type C has generated much buzz since its announcement. The connector breaks with tradition, eschewing backwards-compatibility in favor of creating a more functional, less frustrating solution. Intel has even announced that Thunderbolt 3 will use the connector, providing new opportunities to manufacturers and consumers alike. However, one might argue that USB's success is predicated on backwards-compatibility; the average consumer might lack the knowledge, understanding, or willingness to sustain a change to the new type. It needs rapid market adoption to truly survive in a world dominated by Micro USB 2.0 and the growing threat of various wireless and cloud-based technologies for data and power transfer alike.

OnePlus and its like-minded competitors might yet give Type C that push. Though not alone in announcing usage of Type C, the current number of devices confirmed to use the specification remains low. More worrisome is OnePlus' careful avoidance of the words USB 3.1, the standard most associated with Type C. If wired connectivity solutions are to remain in the future of mobile devices, they need to be embraced fully by manufacturers and consumers alike. Until Type C and USB 3.1 establish themselves, that future is uncertain. And for a growing number, a future without wires is a future to strive for.

Permalink to story.

Isn't Europe forcing all phone manufactures to use the same standardized connector? Of which, even Apple signed and they've choosen the Type-C connector?
I may have got my facts wrong here, but if that is the case, I'm sure adoption rate will be very high once this rule kicks in!

For being the first they need to launch it first. Announcing doesn't count.
Still... very welcome news, although I don't plan to swap out my One+ One just yet.

IF you can actually obtain one. The OnePlus One, announced in April, "released" in Mid May 2014, took til August/September to be more easily available, and even through January 2015, was somewhat difficult to obtain. The only things the One had going were pretty good specs, around 1/2 the price of the high end sellers. The Two, according to OnePlus, will be made of "premium" materials. And they have said a few times it will sell for a higher price. Unless the Two is available in sufficient quantities when launched, and if the price is more than 200 dollars lower than the high end units, this will be a flop and OnePlus will be relegated into obscurity.

They say we can expect a ~400+ buck price, I think that's a little too much for midrange device with some high end specs but I'll reserve my final judgement until it's officially released. The 1+1 is a bargain now if you can still find one and it's still quite relevant.

Cya-no-gen-mod ...? Do I read it right? What kind of freaking name is that?

It freaks me out just as those stupid names alongside Avril Lavigne or Imogen Boots, what's wrong with people giving names like that...?

Last edited:
Cya-no-gen-mod ...? Do I read it right? What kind of freaking name is that?

It freaks me out just as those stupid names alongside Avril Lavigne or Imogen Boots, what's wrong with people giving names like that...?
It's rooted in the software's past as a custom ROM for Android phones.

"One, maintained by a developer named JesusFreke, became popular among Dream owners. In August 2009, JesusFreke stopped work on his firmware, and suggested users switch to a version of his ROM that had been further enhanced by developer Cyanogen (Steve Kondik) called "CyanogenMod"."

Let's get USB-C adopted and used everywhere already! My microUSB cables are in pretty crappy shape right now. I don't want to buy more of them.

Back