openGL problem? games not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I decided to post it here, because my problem appears to be driver-related.

I have been having some serious problems with certain games quite recently. I was unable to resolve them, so I decided to uninstall win2kpro and install winxppro. I finished doing this and the problem remains. Here is what I found:

Games that work: Rome: Total War, Silent Hunter 3

Games that didn't work, but work now:

Freelances (used to begin loading, then error)

Games that Don't work and didn't work:

Soldier of Fortune (Error during initialization SYSTEM ERROR
GLW_LoadOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem)

Homeworld 2 (screen goes dark, makes a sound, then drops back to desktop)

The odd thing is that Homeworld 2 DID work with win2k, but then suddenly stopped functioning one day.

Some things that happened between the two events:

ATi Radeon 9700 pro fried; replaced with identical card
Some windows updates
Ran a virus scan, deleted loads of viruses (irrelevant because this was only done on last installation)
Ran a full system check with Spybot and Adaware, deleted spyware
Defragged
Installed a RAID system to use for storage and page file storage (512-512 meg)

System:

Windows XP Professional (fully updated with the exception of some optional files, such as the HighMAT update, outlook express update, and .NET framework)
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro (latest catalyst + windows update)
Intel 2.4GHz P4 processor
Note: no drivers downloaded for motherboard, although this doesn't seem to be the reason for the game (it's not like I uninstalled my mainboard drivers during the win2k period)
512 megs of memory

I am at a complete loss as to why this is happening. SoF2 appears to load properly if allowsoftwareopengl is enabled on the shortcut, but this makes the game unreasonably slow. I've posted this on another forum (although not a gaming forum) and the members appeared to be completely lost.

Yes, Homeworld 2 is patched to 1.1, although I didn't restart after the patching.

Something that looks suspicious:

The Windows update for radeon
The catalyst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back