Operating system problem

gulabg

I recently bought a new computer with windows 7 operating system and tried to run my dbase program.
To do that I first ran cmd.com to get a dos prompt.
It read the following way:
c:\windows.old\windows\system32>dbase.exe
I received following message:
'dbase.exe' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I was able to run edbase.exe quite easily on windows xp and vista. Can any one help me solve this problem, so that I can run the program on windows 7. I understand it should be able to run 32 bit programs.
Best regards,
Gulab Gidwani

"c:\windows.old\windows\system32>dbase.exe"

you should that program using DIR c:\windows.old\windows\system32\dbase.exe

The message is telling you that DBASE.EXE is not found in your PATH
echo %PATH%​

You might try
c:\windows.old\windows\system32> ./dbase.exe

Why \Windows.old\windows\... looks like you are attempting to run an OLD program from another system without first installing it on this system

Yes it is an old DOS program, but I was able to run it successfuly under DOS command in windows XP and vista. I do not know why I am not able to run it in windows 7 under DOS command.
If windows 7 would not permit me to use my DOS program, I may have to go back to windows XP.

I will appreciate any help.

Best regards,
Gulab Gidwani

Like all 'old' programs, the important thing is whether or not the program tries to access the hardware directly. If it does, it will not run under anything later than XP, or even in a virtual XP hosted on Win7 or later.

Dbase would probably not fall into that category. It might manipulate memory in odd ways, but probably a lot less than Foxpro.exe does (compatible with dBase, and it was quite extraordinary in it's advanced extended memory manipulations). I can assure you that DOS Foxpro works just fine natively in Win 7.

So it suggests to me you just need to open a command prompt using the right-click 'run as administrator', then navigate to where your dbase is actually installed e.g. CD C:\dbase and then execute dbase.exe. I'll be a little surprised if it fails. If it does, try running in compatibility mode for Windows 98/Windows ME and with memory settings as follows
total : auto
protected : unticked
EMS memory : none
XMS memory : 0
uses HMA : ticked
DPMI memory : auto

Oh, and as Jobeard asks, what are you doing ? Apparently copying an entire previous version of windows into c:\windows.old (of Win 7). There is no known reason to do that at all. You can just copy the directory with the application and data in it from the old PC, into C:\dbase

Last edited:
I am running the program with compatibility mode of windows 95. It worked fine with windows XP
and vista. It just refuses to run in windows 7. Incidently I have 64 bit version of windows 7, if that makes any difference.

Best regards,
Gulab Gidwani

Incidently I have 64 bit version of windows 7, if that makes any difference.
It does, I suppose. I would hope it is more a question of setting up the correct .pif execution properties. Do you have a command prompt icon on your desktop?
If not, follow programs/accessories/ and there should be a command prompt in that list which you can drag to the desktop.
Having done that, open the command and enter SET C which will list a number of system things starting 'c'. Tell me two things.....
What does the line ComSpec= say ?
What does your system display when you say 'refuses to run' ? What error message do you get?

We are trying to get you to execute the 32-bit command system - see here http://www.tomcarpenter.net/2010/07/09/windows-command-line-64-bit/

However, this link is about your specific problem http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-can-I-run-16-bit-programs-in-windows-7-64-bit/22b921f5-0b71-4ba1-8567-2bb86a1b604e
From that I deduce you have three approaches. (1) dual boot with a copy of XP alongside your Win 7 64-bit (2) use XP mode within 64-bit Win 7 (but you need professional version of Win 7 for that). (3) download DosBox (free version for 64-bit OS), but don't use multi-user file sharing because file and record locking is not implemented.

Last edited:
Some one suggested that I should use Windows XP mode to run the program. I downloaded the package as a folder. It has vhd extension. I found out that vhd is connected with Windows virtual pc program. I went to microsoft website and downloaded a windows6.1-KB958559-x86-refresh pkg.
When I tried to run it, I got a message The"update is not applicable to your computer".
I am running out of ideas. I some how need to install virtual pc to be able to run XP operating system.
Is there any way that I can install vitual pc?
Best regards,
Gulab Gidwani

My computer came with a program called Powershell. I believe it will run DOS programs.
Would a command 'Invoke-item dbase.exe' be a legitimate command?

Best regards,
Gulab Gidwani

Back