operating systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have two hard drives, one 40g the other 120g, I want to put 98sc on the 40g and xp home on the 120g same computer. what do I need to do to do this?

Actually pretty simple. When setting up a dual-boot system you need to install the older OS 1st. Since you want to use the 40 for Win98 then set that drive as Master and cable it at the end of IDE1 Then the 120 gets jumpered as slave on the middle connector of the same cable.

Install Win98 and download and set up all your devices and drivers. Then re-boot with the XP CD in and it will check all devices etc. It will then ask what type of install do you want Upgrade or New? Choose New and tell it to install to D: and you should be good to go.
When the install is complete and all is well now when you boot it will give you a menu choice of which OS to boot 98 or XP...
Keep in mind that even though you are installing XP to the 2nd drive it is still going to write some files to the root of C: It has to do this to operate properly...
This is why i suggest making sure 98 is running to your liking.
Don't hurry, take your time and read all prompts
Good Luck and you'll like your new setup.

patio. :cool:

p.s. I almost forgot a very important point. If you want to be able to see / use the XP drive through your Win98 boot you need to choose FAT32 as the file system when you setup XP. If not choose NTFS and the XP drive will be invisible thru Win98. XP however will be able to see the Win98 files no matter which you choose. Something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back