Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison steps down as CEO

Shawn Knight

Staff member

larry ellison oracle ceo oracle

Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison stepped down from his post as CEO on Thursday. In his absence, co-presidents Mark Hurd and Safra Catz will serve as co-CEOs according to a company press release on the matter.

Hurd will continue to run sales, marketing and strategy for Oracle while manufacturing, finance and legal departments will report to Catz.

The 70-year-old executive won’t be leaving the company he helped create, however, as he has been elected to the position of chairman of Oracle’s board. Ellison replaces Jeff Henley, who served as chairman for the last 10 years. Henley will stick around as vice chairman, the company said.

In a statement on the matter, the president of Oracle’s board, Dr. Michael Boskin, said Page made it very clear that he wants to keep working full time and focus his energy on product engineering, technology development and strategy.

As such, the Silicon Valley legend will also serve as chief technology officer with all software and hardware engineering departments reporting directly to him.

Boskin added that Hurd and Catz are exceptional executives who have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to lead, manage and grow the company. The board is thrilled that the best senior executive team in the industry will continue to move the company forward into a bright future, he concluded.

Ellis has led Oracle to a market capitalization of more than $185 billion with annual revenue of $38 billion since founding the company in 1977.

Permalink to story.

....Mr Musk then donned his pure gold Ironman suit and flew over the crowd to their endless applause.

Then he woke up.

Larry Ellison is too young-looking for a man who passed 70. Or maybe it's all plastic surgery that he spends his fortune on...

Other than that, I never cared anything for him or his business. All I know about him and his business is that he bought Sun, thus got his hands on Java licensing and f##ked it up enough that Google and others turned away from Java. Well done, Larry!

Here's for your tombstone: "Java Killer". Start carving ;)

Last edited:
Larry Ellison is too young-looking for a man who passed 70. Or maybe it's all plastic surgery that he spends his fortune on...

Other than that, I never cared anything for him or his business. All I know about him and his business is that he bought Sun, thus got his hands on Java licensing and f##ked it up enough that Google and others turned away from Java. Well done, Larry!

Here's for your tombstone: "Java Killer". Start carving ;)

Stem Cells do wonders.

I have family who are in their 60s and 70s who look like they aren't a day over 50. One or two of them could pass for early 40s. A decent roll of the genetic dice and having enough foresight not to cook yourself at the beach every summer can go a long way.

Mr. Ellison is most likely looking so well not due to a surgeon's skill, but his own skills at people management and his pure wealth. Personal trainers, eating good fresh food, access to advanced medicines and hormone therapy that wealthy individuals can afford make this possible. But it takes a smart and motivated man to work it into his life. Same as all those beautiful 50+ women you see...

That said, his business is reprehensible and likely also illegal, but of course courts and money decide these things. One should not disparage his other skills because of that. I wish I could afford his nutritionist, cook and personal trainer and medical therapies. That's real health you are seeing.

Back