OS X Mavericks is Apple's next desktop operating system

Julio Franco

Staff member

mavericks apple apple mac operating system os x

Today during Apple's WWDC the company was ready to unveil details about its new desktop operating system, OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Whether they ran out of cool cat names or the new naming scheme relates to a new philosophy behind the OS' development remains to be seen. For now Apple anticipates the California-inspired Mavericks' major technological focus is on extending battery life and responsiveness.

OS X Mavericks is slated for release this fall, so only certain key features were part of the presentation, namely: Finder tabs, tags and enhanced multiple display support. As is becoming the custom for Apple, however, they claim the new OS carries over 200 new features overall.

The tabbed Finder is exactly what it sounds like, a browser-like tabbed environment which can replace multiple Finder windows. You can drag and drop between tabs as well as take the Finder window full screen. File tagging is another feature that's been added, meaning you can tag files for easier retrieval and grouping at a later time. Finder integrates this functionality into the sidebar.

The different enhancements on the multiple display front appear to be taking OS X to the level of functionality Windows has been offering for a long time. Apps going full screen on one screen with normal windows on other secondary displays, all full screen windows in multiple displays, and also showing the menu bar and dock at will on the screen you prefer. There's also an interesting integration of OS X with AirPlay devices (Apple TV, etc.) which will let you add a TV screen as a secondary display wirelessly.

Because a wide majority of OS X users are on laptops, it's not surprising a lot of effort has gone on optimizing efficiency. The jump to Haswell on the latest models sure helps, but on the software side of things the company is touting some features like "Compressed Memory", "App Nap" and "Time Coaslescing" which working together can reduce CPU activity up to 72% percent, they say. Two useful metrics Apple presented as result of the improvements in Maverick were wake up from standby time and responsiveness under load.

Other software features that will be part of OS X Maverick include a new version of the Safari browser, iBooks, Calendar, Maps (iOS-like maps) and iCloud Keychain. The latter uses high-level encryption for your passwords and other personal data, not unlike Lasspass or 1Password, however iCloud Keychain has the advantage of being fully integrated in the OS and the extensibility toward iOS devices you might own.

There's a sense Apple remains committed to its desktop operating system, even though iOS is receiving a much larger overhaul today with version 7. On the desktop we can appreciate some productivity-oriented enhancements being made versus the current approach Microsoft is taking with Windows where it's trying harder to push mobile-esque features and forcing a more abstract funcionality layer. And while Windows users remain to be a large majority of desktop/laptop users, Apple was happy to share a stat: 35% of Mac users are using Mountain Lion vs. 8% of Windows users using Windows 8.

Permalink to story.

I cant believe they ran out of big cat names xD. This is a catch up version of OS X (to keep up with Windows), I didnt expect much. OS X 11 is where the big stuff is at.

Microsoft did both Apple and Linux a favor by releasing Windows 8. They don't have to do much to compete now.

Yeah.

OS X just gained the ability to expand a display. That has been in Windows since when? XP?

You've always been able to use more than one display on OSX, Mavericks just adds support for an AirPlay display as an expanded one and added the menubar/dock to every display, instead of just having one main one (with menu/dock) and the others without.

You've always been able to use more than one display on OSX, Mavericks just adds support for an AirPlay display as an expanded one and added the menubar/dock to every display, instead of just having one main one (with menu/dock) and the others without.

Oh ok.

Drove a Ford Maverick most of the time I went to college, 60 miles a day. 20 below zero weather and it only didn't start one time when I bombarded it with the snow blower. Had a broken belt another time at school, which I repaired there borrowing tools from a Standard Oil gas station, while the car pool waited. No other problems. Ironically, my father worked for GM. I really don't know whatever happened to it. To think that the only Apple product I own is a tiny iPod Shuffle, which was free via an essential kickback from a software salesman. Never bought the software so it wasn't a kickback. Had a Macbook Pro once, but the updates corrupted it due to the high wireless traffic in this apartment and Apple doesn't do checksums. Returned it for a full refund from Frys.

File tagging will be a very useful feature and the tabbed browser too. Anyone who uses both Win & Mac daily and professionally (like myself) knows that OS X is light years ahead. The rest are just T.O.T.Azzzes.

File tagging will be a very useful feature and the tabbed browser too. Anyone who uses both Win & Mac daily and professionally (like myself) knows that OS X is light years ahead. The rest are just T.O.T.Azzzes.

Lies. I use both daily. I have a high end desktop PC from 3 years ago, Surface and a rMBP and OS X is rubbish. Constant spinning beachballs and runs slow for no reason, my 3 year old desktop smashes it.

Lies. I use both daily. I have a high end desktop PC from 3 years ago, Surface and a rMBP and OS X is rubbish. Constant spinning beachballs and runs slow for no reason, my 3 year old desktop smashes it.

So he's lying because you bought a crap MBP that needs repair? Sorry I have been using windows and Mac OS X for years in network environments and the only issues I get are all windows related, OS X has a few issues with taking a while to join the domain from cold start but nothing a simple 5AM boot time doesn't solve.

So he's lying because you bought a crap MBP that needs repair? Sorry I have been using windows and Mac OS X for years in network environments and the only issues I get are all windows related, OS X has a few issues with taking a while to join the domain from cold start but nothing a simple 5AM boot time doesn't solve.

I've been using Windows 7 since it came out and I never had any problems with it, no bugs, no viruses, nothing. Also, before 7 I used XP and also never had any problems. Generally, Windows has problems because of faulty software, while Mac OS X has problems because of faulty OS.

I've often made the statement, I'd never buy into Apple. I can't believe I'm here actually reconsidering my words. With the recent direction of Windows, I may find myself looking for alternatives. So from this day forth, I am opening negotiations for Apple. I'm not ready to cross the line just yet, but I am looking around.

I've been using Windows 7 since it came out and I never had any problems with it, no bugs, no viruses, nothing. Also, before 7 I used XP and also never had any problems. Generally, Windows has problems because of faulty software, while Mac OS X has problems because of faulty OS.
How can you say that about OS X, if all you have used is Windows XP and Windows 7?

I can sit here and make opinionated speeches about Windows all day long. When it comes to OS X, I have no experience, and no right to state opinions period. Unless you can provide more detail, I'm tempted to say the same for you.

So a top end MBP, which is supposed to be Apple's best computer is now crap? I also had similar issues with my MBA too a year ago. Barely anything installed on them too. Had PC's for almost 20 years, only had one hardware problem (Geforce4 graphics card) and since WinXP SP2, Windows has been rock solid and hasn't given me issues.

I've often made the statement, I'd never buy into Apple. I can't believe I'm here actually reconsidering my words. With the recent direction of Windows, I may find myself looking for alternatives. So from this day forth, I am opening negotiations for Apple. I'm not ready to cross the line just yet, but I am looking around.

How can you say that about OS X, if all you have used is Windows XP and Windows 7?

I can sit here and make opinionated speeches about Windows all day long. When it comes to OS X, I have no experience, and no right to state opinions period. Unless you can provide more detail, I'm tempted to say the same for you.

You're right, I don't have much experience with OS X even though I used it. But a couple of my friends had them, they were tech guys, and bugs they had were always related to the OS. A couple of friends is not any big deal, but usually when I find a Mac user complaining about some problems it's mostly related to the OS (and sometimes peripherials give problems). Now, it's not that I hate Apple or I'm a Windows fanboy, that's just the way I see it from my LOW experience.

So a top end MBP, which is supposed to be Apple's best computer is now crap? I also had similar issues with my MBA too a year ago. Barely anything installed on them too. Had PC's for almost 20 years, only had one hardware problem (Geforce4 graphics card) and since WinXP SP2, Windows has been rock solid and hasn't given me issues.

I'm not saying it's crap as an entirety I'm using one right now and not one issue, but if you buy from eBay or preloved expect a pile of crap.

Sorry but I have been using windows for years, I learned on 3.1 and my first installation of it was 1998 and 1998 SE but it's never evolved as an OS, just to prove that fact try to make a folder on the desktop in windows 7 called LPT1 or CON, you can't do it because it's still got the backbone of DOS, Unix has evolved and grown and has always been a more stable OS, Windows needs to evolve into a file system.

I'm the administrator of over 2000 PC and mac's ipads and Citrix the only issues we get are using Windows failures, at home not a problem my gaming PC has been fine for 3 years, but ultimately the fact remains Windows has nothing on Mac OS X, I was once like most people here would havenever have used OS X but after being given a MBP for my job I don't think I would go back to anything else with windows on it, most if not all other laptops feel and look cheap compared to the MBP and why do you think companies do their upmost to build windows laptops that look like MBP's?

Lack of software on the OS from the start is a good thing I don't want bloatware thank you, plus a license for OS X is massively cheaper and so is the OS X equivalent of office and if you don't like pages act, then you can purchase and download Microsoft office for the system.

Back