Outlook 2003 pst file

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyam77

Hi all,
I am using Outlook 2003. The path by default for the pst file is C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I would like to change it so that instead my pst file is on another partition.

Is it possible? If so how?

Thanks in advanced :wave:

Moving the .pst file

This works on Outlook XP, but should probably work well with 2003 too...

This method is actually described in Outlook, when you go into 'Options', select the 'Mail Setup' tab, and click on the 'Data Files...'-button, it says (in XP at least) 'You must shutdown Outlook to move or copy these files.'

So, in order to move your .pst file: Close Outlook, move your Outlook folder to the desired folder/partition and reopen Outlook. It should tell you it cannot fint the outlook.pst file and gives you an opportunity to locate where you put it.

Easy as that... (Can't believe MS haven't made it easier to move the .pst file... oh well. nevermind)

Hope this helps.

After you have located where you have moved to .pst file to, Outlook will state it still cannot find the file, so that it cannot be started. This is normal. All you have to do is to click 'ok' and start Outlook once more. It should then start normally.

Advanced thanks appreciated :D

Or to simply create a new one, go to File/New/Outlook Data File and follow the prompts....gives you the ability to create and name whereever you'd like.

WOW! Thanks its working! Didn't realise it was so simple.I was doing it right, but after I was getting the error message I stopped.Thanks for you help.

oppsy

Hi. I mistakenly deleted my Outlook.pst file and now it won't open. I read the above, and can't even get to a point to create a new one. What can I do?

Thanks

MT

yes, thats what I did. I needed to get up and running so I just went ahead and did a complete system reinstall. Just reinstalling Office 2003 didn't work.

So I'm fine now, but I find it unusual that I couldn't replace that file from the disk or even open Outlook.

Thanks anyway.

MT

Not much I did, but no problem :) You really must have been desperate to get Office up & running again... hehe. Glad to hear you got it sorted in the end.

Check out the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool also:

This article is written for the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool that is available as a download from Microsoft Office Online.

The Personal Folders Backup tool is designed for use in Outlook 2002 and later and the operating systems that support each respective Outlook version. The tool provides a quick and easy way to back up the Outlook information of your choice to your hard disk or network server or share.

After you back up your information, you can copy these duplicates of your Outlook data to a removable media such as a CD or DVD. The backup files are exact copies of the original files and are saved in the same file format. You can receive periodic reminders to back up your files.
Code:
office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010875321033.aspx

English (US) edition direct download:
Code:
download.microsoft.com/download/e/0/f/e0f1a42b-e4bd-4306-a3d4-78ff9d2b22ca/pfbackup.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back