Over 18,000 Suicide Squad fans sign petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes in response to bad reviews

midian182

Staff member

Suicide Squad gets its theatrical release tomorrow, but unless you’ve managed to avoid the internet over the last few days, you’ll have probably noticed that early critic reviews have been less than glowing. The harsh words haven't went down well with fans, with one going so far as to start a petition calling for the closure of aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes.

Over 18,000 angry DC aficionados have signed the petition so far, which was started by Abdullah Coldwater of Alexandria, Egypt. He writes: “Critics always give The DC Extended Universe movies unjust Bad Reviews… and that Affects people's opinion.”(sic)

At the time of writing, the movie has a 29 percent approval rating on the site, with 98 negative reviews out of the 139 that have been counted.

Coldwater says the petition definitely won’t shut down the Rotten Tomatoes, but is a way to “deliver a message to the critics that there is a lot of people disagree with their reviews.” Quite why he’s picked on Rotten Tomatoes, which only aggregates scores and doesn’t offer an opinion of its own, is a mystery. It also appears that a lot of people have decided the movie is definitely better than the reviews suggest without having actually watched it.

Somewhat ironically, as noted by Entertainment Weekly, the company behind the movies set in the DC universe - Warner Bros – owned Rotten Tomatoes up until February of this year, when it was sold to Fandango. The studio acquired a minority stake in the ticket seller as part of the deal.

However, much like that other recent DC title that was also slammed by critics - Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice – Suicide Squad looks like it will take in a fortune at the box office when it opens.

Permalink to story.

See now in my opinion all the Marvel stuff, is watchable... at best. Too many heroes / stars, need their time on screen. The Avengers movies are just too much for me, I have such a I couldn't give a F$$$ attitude.

Doesn't it go both ways tho? All the hype, hype, hype come see this amazing movie, best ever come spend £30 to see it. Only to find out, it is a sub par piece of crap, which has no reason for existing.

Or is it just that it is geared at fan boiz of the genre ? And isn't this going to be the response of a bunch of nerds to negative reviews to kick off like this in ultimate nerd power mode ?

The irrelevance of this article is tho, that what we do with nerd opinion is, sweep it under the carpet, because their opinions don't matter. No one cares that a film got a bashing, its someones opinion from the site, if you don't like it, don't clik the clik bait. *****.

Stories like this only reminds me of how low and petty we as a society have become... Critics are (generally/supposed to be) free to voice their opinion just as much as anyone else, just as much as you or I are free to voice a dissenting opinion. Making a frivolous petition singling out Rotten Tomatoes is just another example of people not being able to cope when someone else disagrees with them, and it just looks really, really petty. It's only a surprise they did not go after Metacritic either (another critic aggregate site), which currently stands at 42/100 on the movie.

And really, it is not just this or other fanbases that do it, it feels like it's practically everyone over everything.

Last edited:
Eh, I'm not sure why people are signing a petition to try to close them down. If they are not credible, stop going to the site, simple demand will make them realize when they arent getting as many hits on their site. Right now, this is good for them, as people are probably flocking to the site to check it out. Resist your instinct to look, and just ignore the site. If nobody goes to the site, it will die off. Simple as that. Right?!

Eh, I'm not sure why people are signing a petition to try to close them down. If they are not credible, stop going to the site, simple demand will make them realize when they arent getting as many hits on their site. Right now, this is good for them, as people are probably flocking to the site to check it out. Resist your instinct to look, and just ignore the site. If nobody goes to the site, it will die off. Simple as that. Right?!

You haven't a clue.

What tics me off is the fact that people have nothing better to do than criticize a movie, not based on the movie but, based on all the other movies. If they criticized the movie based on just that movie, or judged it as if it was the only movie they have seen, the scores would reflect differently.

Even if critics don't "get" a move, and there are many, IMO, that they don't, they still have a right to their opinion just as much as anyone else. Just because a movie gets bad review from a number of critics does not mean it will not do well at the box office. For me, remembering that not all critics "get" movies is of primary importance. I have seen movies that critics raved about, but for me, I felt like walking out of the theater and asking for my money back, however, that does not mean that I am going to demand that the critic never review another movie again.

Silencing the opinions of others because one does not agree with them is the beginning totalitarianism.

Judging by that still shot, the movie looks like a bad 70's Halloween Party.

Oh sh!t, am I going to get fired from Techspot for that? :eek:

Oh wait, I don't actually work here. Never mind....Forget I even asked...:D

(I do like the cheap & tawdry bleach blonde in the fishnets though. What does she do with the bat)?

Judging by that still shot, the movie looks like a bad 70's Halloween Party.

Oh sh!t, am I going to get fired from Techspot for that? :eek:

Oh wait, I don't actually work here. Never mind....Forget I even asked...:D

(I do like the cheap & tawdry bleach blonde in the fishnets though. What does she do with the bat)?

Heh, I just remembered a co-worker of mine and I had to drive across the state to fix a backhoe not too long ago. On the way back we saw this person walking down the sidewalk, wearing fishnets, tight short skirt, long blond hair, and had a bubble butt. My co-worker was making jokes about how hot this person was, and how fine this person was. I was laughing, and telling him he is married, and I am married, and we need to respect our wives. We both turned our heads a little as I drove past, and we saw a ZZ Top beard!

OMG! We were laughing so hard, I had to pull over cause my eyes were tearing up so much I couldn't see.

Good times.

Anyways, what was this article about? Oh, yea, critics are critics. Its there job to have an opinion. so.... Yea, I get a kick out of some people that let something as trivial as a movie cause themselves so much heartache.

It's not like many recent movies have really been any good anyhow. Batman vs Superman? Please...

And what is this Rotten Tomatoes site? Something else I ignore cause I can't stand the views of morons in the world? People, just go watch the show yourself and make up your own mind. I guess the downside then is you actually have to spend the time. But if you enjoy movies, isn't that the point? I go to see movies, not to just see only movies that I know are going to be good. So many that 'critics' say suck are great and visa-versa. It almost seems like noone knows. So spend the time or find another hobby.

...[ ]....And what is this Rotten Tomatoes site? Something else I ignore cause I can't stand the views of morons in the world? People, just go watch the show yourself and make up your own mind. I guess the downside then is you actually have to spend the time. But if you enjoy movies, isn't that the point? I go to see movies, not to just see only movies that I know are going to be good. So many that 'critics' say suck are great and visa-versa. It almost seems like noone knows. So spend the time or find another hobby.
Well, if you went to all the movies Siskell & Ebert said were, "5 stars", all you'd wind up seeing is a bunch of crap and family problems, that you could sit home and live through for free.

Next, "Rotten Tomatoes" is just some sh!t which comes up in searches along with IMDB. My normal process is to click on the IMBD link. It's like signing a petition against RT, but nobody gets their feelings hurt, I don't have to sign a petition, and RT doesn't have to shut down. (y)

Which is what's wrong in the political arena!
What's wrong with our electoral process? By next February, we'll have a new president. Now why not go worry about something important? No one will like the next one any better than they like this one, now that we've gotten to know him. It's just we'll to have to endure taking the time all over again to dislike the new president, which is a real pain.

Politics are all process and no substance anyway. :D

Heh, I just remembered a co-worker of mine and I had to drive across the state to fix a backhoe not too long ago. On the way back we saw this person walking down the sidewalk, wearing fishnets, tight short skirt, long blond hair, and had a bubble butt. My co-worker was making jokes about how hot this person was, and how fine this person was. I was laughing, and telling him he is married, and I am married, and we need to respect our wives. We both turned our heads a little as I drove past, and we saw a ZZ Top beard!
Well, "shim" was probably just looking for a ladies room to make a big stink, <(pun intended), about not being allowed to use it.

Last edited:
I watched the movie and it is quite cheesy for a bunch of villains. I have a feeling this whole thing is a marketing stunt.

Pretty much wrote them off after they gave Batman vs Superman such a low rating and it turned out to be a half decent movie.

I'll go watch it and decide for myself though, got nothing better to do this weekend anyway.

Back