Over 361,000 US viewers binge-watched Stranger Things season 2 last weekend

midian182

Staff member

Did you binge watch the second season of Stranger Things as soon as it arrived? If so, then you were one of around 361,000 US Netflix subscribers to consume all nine episodes within 24 hours of its release, according to Nielsen. That’s a total of 495 consecutive minutes, or 8.25 hours.

Last month, Nielsen announced that its Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD) Content Ratings service would allow private media customers to discover ratings for Netflix shows; numbers that the streaming site has long kept to itself. This is the first time that Nielsen has shared the figures publicly.

Nielsen’s system, which uses audio recognition software, only measures views on set-top boxes—it doesn’t count devices such as mobiles, laptops, or tablets. This caveat means that the weekend viewing figures will be even higher than reported.

Nielsen adds that 15.8 million US viewers watched the first episode of Stranger Things’ second season within the first three days, making it one of cable TV’s biggest hits. Overall, each episode averaged around 4 million viewers in the US.

Comparing these numbers to the finale of Game of Thrones, about 13 million people watched the HBO show's climax live or on DVR within three days of it airing.

While there’s no doubting the success of Stranger Things, Netflix continues to dispute the accuracy of Nielsen’s system. "The data that Nielsen is reporting is not accurate, not even close, and does not reflect the viewing of these shows on Netflix," the company said in a press statement.

Permalink to story.

The first season was original, and thus interesting. The second one was - meh!

I completely disagree. I absolutely LOVED season 2. Binge watched it the night it was released. But I understand not everyone will like what I like.

Just finished watching it again this week. Now, I'm starting over with Season 1 and going to watch all the way through Season 2. Keep finding things I missed.

I completely disagree. I absolutely LOVED season 2. Binge watched it the night it was released. But I understand not everyone will like what I like.

Just finished watching it again this week. Now, I'm starting over with Season 1 and going to watch all the way through Season 2. Keep finding things I missed.

It would be interesting, if you didn't watch the Season 1 first. I thought season 2 was all pretty much the same, with less surprises.

I binge-watched it and it was OK, but to me S1 was better, more mystery. A lot of people seem to be grading it based on nostalgia but that wasn't the main reason I liked it in the first place. Don't get me wrong, it had great character development and even being a 90s kid I can relate to the 80s nostalgia. I didn't feel thrilled here, you already know the untouchable characters; in the first season you didn't know if Eleven was gone for good until the very end and what happened to Hopper, I could understand Will's mom the whole last season but I couldn't stand her this season. The list goes on. This one was OK, the first was great.

Season 2 just wasn't anywhere near as scary, nowhere near. And I wonder how many of those who binged it felt a great relief once episode 8 started (I do worry about the direction that E7 hinted at - no spoilers)

I`m in the UK but vpn said California, somehow I think a few others might have binged watched it too using a vpn.

Back