Over 50% of Americans use broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Broadband is gaining acceptance at a very fast rate. According to a new study released earlier this week by the non-profit Pew Internet & American Life Project, over 50% of Internet users in the United States use broadband, either at home or work, they enjoy of high-speed net access.

On a related note, seems like DSL is quickly taking over cable providers, DSL now claims a 42% share of the home broadband market, up from 28% a year ago.

Seems opposite here.

Defently seems more people have dialup, and more people have cable than DSL.

You know I am sure I saw something on Slashdot or the Register about there being 40% or so of internet users in USA who were happy with dialup and had no plans to change.

On the other hand... my MUM finally got broadband, and I never thought I would see that day, so...

I recently switched from 384k/384k dsl to cable. I've had dsl for around 2 years and it was the only broadband available up until january when my cable company finally became an isp. I like dsl but the download speed cap was too low for me. Now with cable i'm only rated at 256k upload and when I run speed tests I get this DSL reports speed test
dsl cost me $40 a month, now i pay $32.95 for cable. I cant complain:D

I just upgraded my DSL from 512/256, to 1536/256, (actual, 1265/212). I was feeling pretty good about it till I read the speeds you guys are getting, but that's the max I can get in my area. Cable, where I live, is not nearly that fast.

I recently got ADSL too. My downstream is 1.5Mbit, but I never get over 160KB/s. I'm capped.

And P66, I never thought my mum would get broadband either...but it happened :rolleyes:

Ive had BB cable for 4 years. I fired the phone company and use my celluar exclusively for phone service so I figure the $50 bucks is close to breaking even versus $30 bucks for a phone line and $20 for a dial-up isp. Plus I get good DL speeds routinely of 300-400k/s and dont have telemarkerters calling anymore.

I would give up the internet at home before I went back to dial up.

All depends where you live, what the market will bear and the local providers.

I see different speeds for DSL for different $$ amounts. Cable broadband is very popular around this area since it is promoted heavily and most people already have cable. Though that is changing with satelite!

DSL through Verizon is NOT promoted since suburban spraw is so widespread, most are too far from the CO to get it I believe.

Another advantage of living in the city other than most things are close including DSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back