Overclocked Sapphire 3870 cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I managed to overclock my sapphire 3870 @ 1026/1269
cooled with accelero s1 + 2x 12cm fan
The problem I found is that when my case is in upright position the accelero isnt enough to cool it down but when my case is laying on the side the acclelero doesnt have problems cooling it. I think its because the liquid inside the heatpipes has better circulation when the case is laying on side.
Is there a non water cooler that can cool it when the case is in upright position ?

thx

There is liquid in the heatpipes, and yes, having it on the side or upright MAY have an effect on the temperatures.

However, note that there are 3 different types of heatpipes, and one of them should negate this to some extent (the wicking type, if that name makes any sense to you).

If you're an avid overclocker, you'd want the best GPU heatsink out there, and the Thermalright HR-03 (choose the version that will fit) is the best out there. I personally use one of them, mainly for noise reasons now, but I used to overclock my card on it, and a 92mm fan, and still get its max temp at 2/3 stock max (not to mention its still quiet too)

Bottom line: the accelero is good, but if you're going to overclock, you'd need something much bigger.

(BTW, that DuOrb takes up an extra slot, while the HR-03 takes up an extra 2 slots if you add a fan to it. This gives you an idea of its size).

Here's a picture of my computer I posted up sometime ago, with an older version of the HR-03 in it. They've updated the HR-03 to include MORE heatpipes, so it will work even better than mine.

(A short note on that pic, looks like there's tons of fans in there, but they are ALL low cfm fans, and therefore low noise. The whole PC at load is still as quiet as a whisper. Unfortunately, the noisiest part of it all is the 92mm fan on the HR-03. Yet, it is still quiet enough that outside traffic is much louder even at load).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back