Overclocked XP 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I recently read the article on overclocking an XP. I just performed it, I made sure I didn't short out any bridges. It boots up great, but im my BIOS, which is AMI, there is no option to change the multiplier. I need help. Should I flash some new bios? Oh yeah, my pc is a XP 1600, 256 mb ram, SiS 305 vid card, and MoBo is a PC CHIPS M830LR. please help, thanks alot.

Not exactly an overclocking board you have there. I don't know if a BIOS update will give you a multiplier adjustment option. If you are just having fun playing with overclocks, using the FSB is fine. If you are going to get serious, then you will need a better MOBO and cooling. My buddy has the same mobo, not too stable.

whats a good overclocking board for my chip? Oh yea, I flashed new bios, still no option to change the multiplier. Is it visible in the bios like its grayed out, or it doesnt show up at all until you "unlock" it. thanks

My MOBO is a monster overclocking board and good on the wallet, about 98 bucks retail. EPoX 8HKA+. Asus boards are good as well. It looks as though you are using the onboard video from your board, so if your not into upgrading to an AGP Video Card, then get a MOBO with an nForce chipset by NVIDIA ie; ASUS A7N*** as well as a few other manufacturers. this is a good link to a killer review of a bunch of MOBOs
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q4/011126/index.html

grrr why overclock that processor, its fast enough, is it not? Without proper cooling you will fry your processor and then you will have yourself an AMD ATHLON XP 0+. I would rather keep my 1900+ than downgrade to a 0+

To have the option you must have:

* a mobo that supports multiplier adjustment, either by jumper or bios setting. The option in the bios appears when either jumper is set to jumperfree or unlocked cpu is detected.
* an unlocked CPU. In case of the XP you have filled the gaps with glue and drew the lines with conductive paint (or similar procedure) - the pencil trick alone, won't work.

Check wether your mobo can (maybe, not likely). A good overlclocking mobo would be from abit, gigabyte, asus and epox (and maybe shuttle).

there are loads of motherboards out there that will support overclocking - the current kings are:

Epox 8KHA+ (which I have)
and the
Abit KR7-A

most boards will allow a basic overclock just by adjusting the front side bus (although if you want to push it a long way you'll need some good ram plus you'll be running your pci cards out of spec) and many others will allow multiplier adjust. look up the manufacturers website before buying if you want to get a new motherboard.
also essential is good cooling for your chip to make sure it doesn't fry so you need some decent thermal paste (eg Arctic Silver 2 or 3) and a cooler with a copper base (not the amd retail cooler!). i use the alpha pal 8045 which is a pretty impressive beast.

Both the Epox and Abit are good OCing boards. I had to decide between these two boards about two months ago and I went with the Abit KR7A-RAID. It's a great mobo with lots of options. I'm running at 150FSB with no problems. Others have been able to get higher speeds with their KR7A's as well. So try out the KR7A Raid. check out this review at Anandtech for a reference. The Epox and Abit came out at the top: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1578

hope that helps.

Other than self-satisfaction, the only reason you would want to overclock is for gaming.

With that in mind, I'd get a new video card before I worried too much about overclocking. If you don't have the cash to blow on a new video card, then don't worry about it and just be content. :)

Rick is definitely right here - are you going to notice an extra 5-10% gain in cpu performance without a half decent graphics card unless you do some serious number crunching?

If you are primarily looking to run games then rather than spend the money on a new mobo and cooler, get a geforce3 or radeon 8500 if you can afford it or a gf2 ti or a rad 7500 if you want to spend a little less. i guarantee you will be better off doing this :)

why would he go for a better vid card if he's trying to OC his processor? he just unlocked his XP and wants to try it out. sorry guys, that just don't make sense to me :confused:

Originally posted by DarkGuarDN
why would he go for a better vid card if he's trying to OC his processor? he just unlocked his XP and wants to try it out. sorry guys, that just don't make sense to me :confused:

Totally agree! I think the mtb sould change instead of the vga! Anyway, i have successful in unlock and multiplier can go up to 12.5 fr orignally 10.5!

Cheers!

i believe he wanted to overclock to get better performance in gaming, other than the cpu u need a nice video card along with it...
sorry if i'm wrong... i think that way

hey Fed,
he didn't mention anything about a game. I actually agreed with you at first, but then I thought back and he just said OC my chip. so mobo before video card :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back