Overclocking my AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was messing in my bios today and i can change CPU speed from 1.2 to 1.6 ghz. How much cooling would be required for me to do this without frying my Athlon? Thanks for the help.

What kind of cooling do you have currently? If you wish to overclock that high, a new HSF would do your CPU justice if you have a stock cooler. If you don't mind the cash, an Alpha PAL8045 would be more than enough :giddy:

You can do it without frying your Athlon. It's only a matter of whether or not it will run stable ;)

Thats a pretty big jump. If you can run it stable there, go for it. Though I would recommend a Tt Volcano or a Dragon Orb(its kinda loud) I've used both and currently use the Volcano and it works very well. I have one that is two years old and still going strong.

Odds are, you'll never see 1.6GHz from overlcocking that little 1.2GHz.. Generally speaking, that's a huge jump and you'll probably need a water cooler IF your processor can handle it.

You shouldn't worry too much about frying your Athlon. It is likely your computer will crash, shut-off or not turn on before any damage happens from overclocking.

From my experiences, you should be able to come by 1.4GHz fairly easy, maybe 1.5GHz or more if you have a lucky CPU.

I would of thought, and correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy and plug in a 1.6 CPU if your board can take it. They can't be that expensive now. If not then just buy a new MOBO and 1.6 CPU or better...

I havn't really a clue about prices, but i would of thought that buying all that water cooling, heatsinks, fans etc, shoving it all in with fingers crossed would cost quite a bit....

I might be completely wrong here on prices, but im sure someone will correct me...

Just my 2 shillings worth...

A watercooler is a long term investment; in the long run when you keep upgrading you will always be able to get the most value for your money...

Though you are right that a watercooler is pretty expensive...

Another not to be forgotten benefit of a watercooler si that you will be able to overclock extremley much but still not have your computer sound like a jet engine...

A very slow moving 120mm Pabst fan is more than enough to keep my Geforce4 and 1,46ghz CPU OC:ed to the max...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back