Overheating Cpu (Need tons of Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately when i have been playing games or converting movies for my ipod, my computer has been crashing. The screen justs freezes and i have to shut down and start all over again. My idleing temp which i think is high is 53C and it has gotten up too 103c before. I have 6 fans cooling the system and i am pretty sure it is going to get damaged if i keep running at these high temps.

Specs

p4 3.2g
ati radeon 9600
1 gb DDR-SDRAM
MSI MS-6585 mother board
Maxtor 120 gb hard drive
windows xp sp2

thanks for your help

If those temps are accurate, there's something really wrong with the CPU fan. Is it still working? Have you checked it for dust build-up?

yes.. do not use your computer untill you get this resolved.
like jmmd say check the fans working and clean out dust.

goto bios hardware monitor and confirm your idle temps from that. if still high 50s then you may need to clean off the top of your cpu with rubbing alcohol and reapply some arctic silver on it.. add more case fans if needed..

If it really got above 100°C I don't think you have any thermal compound on the CPU at all ;)

Do as N3051M said, buy some Arctic Silver 5 and rubbing alcohol and reseat the CPU cooler...

Also what kind of CPU cooler do you have? The P4 CPU's require a pretty good heatsink... If you live in Scandinavia you can get the Alpha PAL8952T at a steal over at Gtek; just 95SEK or about 8$... (it retails for 40$ normally...)

You will need to add your own fan for it however...

after cleaning out some dust it lowered down to 55 at idle to 85 while playing games it still is high, but definatly an improvement. I have an intel heatsink with some dust in it which i think was causing the high temps. i bought some bottled air and im going to try to get the dust out. wish me luck...

Sounds pretty bad if that much dust has built up so quickly... Getting a dustfilter for your intake fans would be a very good idea...

Also clean out the powersupply, oftenly most dust end up in it, and it can have more severe effects than a hot running CPU because the efficiency of a PSU decreases the hotter it get, i.e. at 25°C it might deliver 400w but at 60°C only 200w (no, that is not an exaggeration btw...)

xerik126x said:
Lately when i have been playing games or converting movies for my ipod, my computer has been crashing. The screen justs freezes and i have to shut down and start all over again. My idleing temp which i think is high is 53C and it has gotten up too 103c before. I have 6 fans cooling the system and i am pretty sure it is going to get damaged if i keep running at these high temps.

Holy mother of God 103C yur CPU would be fried thats well over 200F and i thought my AMD X2 at 45C max load was horrible. I'd definately look into the CPU HS quickly and seriously rip that thing off and reapply a lapping of Thermal paste and seat that thing tight becuz i've had a few that didn't sit right and they up'd my temps by 5-10C but yurs 103C !!!!! thats murder i'm surprised its still running almost sounds like theres no HS i don't even think AMD's get that hot w/o HS's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back