P4 Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

I am buying a new processor for my motherboard and was wondering if this would work?

Motherboard:
Via P4M800Pro-M478 (obviously Socket 478)

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116175

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.0E Prescott (what's e stand for?) @ 3.0ghz w/1MB L2 Cache

The reason why I ask is that it has the letter "e" at the end of the name and that someone who wrote a review had trouble with his motherboard.

That will work with socket 478. The guy who said he had a problem with the socket probably had a different socket and was a newb:p. All socket 478 procs fit all socket 478 mobos and your mobo is compatible with this proc. Enjoy... and get urself a new vid card.

I know; everything comes in small steps to me. I wasn't expecting the cpu to break. If and when I get this, I need more cooling though, so I'll look for that.

Yea... you will because thats a prescott... and they run wayy too hot. Try to see if you can find a Northwood 3 ghz because even though they should run hotter cuz there 0.13um instead of 0.09um like the prescotts, they actually run quite cool and they are very overclockable.

All newegg has for a northwood for the 478 mobo is a 2.8ghz 533fsb 512 cache processor.

I'd say get that one instead because most likely it will be able to overclock to about 3.4 ghz at least and even at that speed it will be much cooler than the Prescott.

EDIT: Plus the Northwood is $20 cheaper than the P4 and it will likely end up running faster anyway.

EDIT... again: The only thing the Prescott has over the Northwood is HT but cranking the Northwood up to 3.4 ghz or so should eliminate that advantage.

I think that's way beyond his budget. You'd be fine with the Northwood CPU, or the Prescott.

yea wolfram i agree..he didnt ask for a new motherboard..he should just get the p4 and the cooler..and video card..

I know I need a good vid card, but I have to take small steps with my pratically non-replenishing budget lol. I was thinking of Going to a Socket AM2 mobo with a pci-ex16 slot, and an Athlon 64 3200 = $130 altogether. I think I will go with the P4 Northwood or Prescott though.

Hmm... well that AM2 with Athlon 64 3200+ might be a very good deal... especially since socket AM3 processors (when they come out) will be backwards compatible with AM2 except if they are running on an AM2 board they will use DDR2 instead of DDR3.

EDIT: Also, I have a 3200+ for socket 939 and it is much faster than either of the P4s I had... and it's not even overclocked. \

although the stock cooling HSF you get with your prescott is sufficient (keeps it under 35-40 most of the time if you take care of it), its noisy as ****, so don't forget to get yourself a Zalman or a quieter aftermarket hsf.. trust me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back