P45 BIOS update issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I'm having a bit of a problem updating my BIOS. I have a MSI P45 Platinum MB. I have downloaded the new BIOS, but the files dont seem to fit the programs i use. The files i download are files that have extensions equal to their version number, for instance; A7512IMS.110, where "110" is the extension as well as the version number. The update programs on the other hand, seems to want to get a hold of *.rom-files. I've googled my *** off, but cant find any good explanations. I cant seem to get an understanding of what these *.rom-files even are.

I expect people to recommend MSI Live Update 3 etc, but I'm having problems installing the application. When trying to exec "Liveupdate.exe", I see a bar, and when it is finished, my mouse cursor turns into an hourglass for about 5 sec, and nothing more happens. I even unpacked the *.exe-file which is an archive, and tried to execute the setup.exe, but still nothing.

I'm running WinXP Sp3. I dont have a floppy-station as this is a brand new computer, and im not sure if I can get a hold of a bootable USB-device.

Cheers!

I realize that the machine probably doesn't have a floppy drive installed., but have you checked to see if the board itself has a FDD socket? The P-45 chipset is enabled for FDD, but I'm not familiar with your particular board to know if it's been implemented.

If it is, it's an easy (and reasonably inexpensive matter) to buy a floppy drive, take the side off the computer and flash your BIOS to your heart's content.

FDDs (all brands) run about eight bucks at Newegg. Annoyingly, the shipping charges are about the same. Here's a Sony; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821103116

BIOS updates can be risky and aren't really suggested if they're not absolutely necessary. So, is this one necessary?

For the update files, you can just rename them with the appropriate ROM file extension, probably...
First you will have to open my computer, go to tools -> View (tab) -> Uncheck hide extensions for known file types, and uncheck that box, then press OK.
If the utility uses a standard open file dialog, you may be able to change the explorer to "all files" instead of "ROM" files.
Though I have never heard of such difficulties upgrading a BIOS, don't trust your life to this.

hellokitty[hk]: I tried that, but the files are "not the right size" or something like that.

captaincranky: As I read through the update notes on the BIOS-versions for my MB, I noticed that FDD support is implemented in one of the updates. Isn't that ironic?^^

Well when it comes to if wheter or not this is necessary, I don't really think so. The thing is that I have been getting random BSODs ever since I built my computer (in January), and this is one of the last steps to getting tid of them all. I've entountered (and gotten rid of) about 10 different BSODs popping up at the least appropriate times. Now I'm down to about 1 BSOD and a minor performance and/or networking problem, and I hope that a BIOS update could help me get closer to a solution.

Early on, the P45 MB was slaughtered in reviews for its sloppy BIOS. Luckily MSI made a few quick updates. Unfortunately, installing them seems to be quite difficult. But I found the solution.

Solution:After some time I put my trust in the Live Update 3 application, and tried to figure out how install and run it. I simply rebooted in Safe Mode, installed the Live Update, rebooted again and ran the program. I dont know why it wouldt start in normal mode though.

However, my BIOS is now flashed and updated. The Live Update worked smoothly, and without signifigant complications (or so I hope). The first time I rebooted the computer, I had an error message on a black screen saying; bad checksum. I pressed F1 to enter setup, and loaded optimized defaults, and it went away. Should this be a problem?

And thanks for the help anyway. Greatly appreciated. :)

Is this a Phoenix-Award BIOS? I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R board with F-4 BIOS, no problems so far, but who knows, I really haven't used the machine all that much yet.

This board has a FDD socket, and they give you a cable too, who knows if they really work..:rolleyes:

hellokitty[hk]: I'll try. Some BSODs just wont go away. :) I even have a list of all the different BSOD errors if you want to take a look. :p

The checksum errors doesn't seem to cause that much of a trouble so I guess I wont bother with it since it doesnt really bother me at the moment.

Thanks for the help. :)

captaincranky: No, it's an AMI BIOS.

Any specific reason you are trying to update the BIOS? Most BSODs are caused by drivers and faulty RAM modules. I would only recommend flashing if you have found proof that it will fix whatever it is you are facing. Also, you can just use a bootable CD-ROM and AWDFLASH to flash the BIOS, will work fine.

Any specific reason you are trying to update the BIOS? Most BSODs are caused by drivers and faulty RAM modules. I would only recommend flashing if you have found proof that it will fix whatever it is you are facing. Also, you can just use a bootable CD-ROM and AWDFLASH to flash the BIOS, will work fine.
It's all stated in the previous posts. I know that flashing the BIOS isnt the first thing you should do when trying to rid yourself of BSODs, but I've tried pretty much everything else, and I have gotten rid of quite a few. The only thing remaning now is finding out if it might be a hardware related problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back