Parts of Windows XP unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grasky

I have windows xp home ed and recently started having problems with it. It was crashing and the help/support section would not work i get the message 'windows cannot load help and support because a system service is not running, to fix the problem start the service named help and support'!!
Also I cannot use a printer because there are not printers in the control panel printers file but I have checked and the software is still on there. There are lots of other smaller glitches and problems. I updated windows from microsoft update centre, but this did not help and I could not fix it with the windows disk, SO, we were told it must be a virus (although I have firewall and virus scans running all the time) and we should reformatt the hard drive etc. I bought another hard drive and copied all files to it then and reformatted then re-loaded windows. but the problem remains - am at a loss at what to do and I am not very knowledgeable either. Please can anyone help with any ideas. Thanks.

Pentium 4
256 ram
40 gb hard drive
Geforce 4

"Help and Support" and "Printer Spooler" services don't seem to be running.

Check if you can start them from Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services.

Also check if there are more services that aren't running but set to "Automatic".

Thanks for replying - I tried what you said and got the help/support and the printer running. Computer is still really slow and now the sound has stopped working (have checked all the usual on the help files).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back