Passes POST, but nothing displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

schoolTechi

Hi,

I recently acquired a 4 year old PC, when I turn it on it passes the POST test (single short beep) and nothing appears on the monitor. The CD drive ejects and keeps ejecting whenever you close it, even with a CD in it. All fans are working.

If you unplug the monitor is says that it doesn't detect a signal. You swap a new monitor in, the same thing happens. So I'm assuming that it isn't the monitor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am at a loss a to what to next look for.

Cheers

Agree about the graphics.
Install a card if you are using the built-in onboard graphics.May also just be a defective connecting cable.

Thanks for that, I'll test it out when I lay my hands on another video card.

It's a separate video card and it's not the connecting cable, changed that when I swapped monitors.

However I can't post specs - there was no documentation that came with the PC, it was originally my Grandma's and was running windows 2000 or NT, with I think 1GB RAM. That's all I really know about it.

Thanks

If you unplug the monitor is says that it doesn't detect a signal.
But when you plug it in does that message then go?

If so, then it may not be the Video Card
It could be even as simple as a build up of dust inside the computer

Using high compressed air (air cans can be purchased from computer/electronic shops)
Take the side cover off, and take the computer outside, and blow out all the dust
Then confirm the Ram is seated correctly (by removing it and re-installing it)
Then try turning on again

Grab System Information for Windows.
Once installed, will tell you practically everything you would want or need to know about that machine.

Thanks Guys,

Kimsland was right, no need to replace the video card there it just needed a good dusting.

I just need to make the disk drive stay closed so I can load something other that windows 2000 onto it, I might just buy a new one.

Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back