Passing "Access Denied" in Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.
I need to change the privacy settings on a folder, and I have to do it in dos.

Most people are able to solve the problem I have by taking possession of a folder that has been made private in Windows XP. But that option does not work for me. I need to find a way to access the private folder in dos because I can no longer get to the folder in XP to change the privacy settings because Windows Explorer freezes before I get there. I can only reach the folder in dos.

My disk has too many corrupted spots. I can still get around in the file system in dos, but explorer freezes.

So, I need a way to overcome "access is denied" in dos.

Please help.

Here’s the full situation. My hard disk failed when I bumped the computer while it was shutting down. There are many corrupted files. I am now accessing it as an external drive. Some files will not open even through dos due to disk damage. But I can get to the folder that I really need data from in dos, then I hit "access is denied." But I absolutely can’t get there using Windows Explorer. In other folders I have had great success copying files one by one with xcopy until I hit a bad one. But this most important folder is the one I “made private” in XP. Now I can’t get in. How do I make it not private in dos?

There must be a command or other strategy for changing privacy settings or overcoming the "access is denied" roadblock in dos. Please help.

Thanks, Ben

Explorer freezes because the folder in question is corrupt. Writing anything in there (including changing the security settings) can potentially make matters much, much worse.

Instead of messing around with Microsoft crap, boot a Linux CD like Knoppix and access your files from there.

you must address "My disk has too many corrupted spots" before you do anything else.

run->cmd -> chkdsk /f

and restart the system

if you can, then run SFC /SCANNOW
(it may prompt for your install CD)

You should then be able to run in SAFEMODE and take ownership.

IF software has been mangled by the corruption, then consider a reinstall
over the existing system

Thanks for the suggestions.

CHKDSK proceeds through step one, checking the disk for errors, but freezes in step 2.

I have not yet tried SFC /SCANNOW.

I don’t think the disk has many corrupted spots. I can navigate through the file system pretty freely in dos. Once in a while I hit a corrupted file and everything freezes. I just restart and avoid opening that particular file in the future. But Windows Explorer tries to index all the files within a folder, so if any one is corrupt, the whole system freezes every time I open the folder, and I cannot access any of the files.

I’m interested in the idea of booting in Linux and then trying to access the folder. But would Linux have the same problems?
1) If it is designated as a private folder by Windows XP, will Linux still open it?
2) Will Linux try to index all the files in a folder and freeze if any one is corrupted?

- Ben

benja44 said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

CHKDSK proceeds through step one, checking the disk for errors, but freezes in step 2.
you have a severe condtion!
I’m interested in the idea of booting in Linux and then trying to access the folder. But would Linux have the same problems?
1) If it is designated as a private folder by Windows XP, will Linux still open it?
2) Will Linux try to index all the files in a folder and freeze if any one is corrupted?

- Ben
Linux will ignore the windows permission system :)
see this recovery technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back