PC acting strangely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_M

Ok here's what happened. Been on the computer a few minutes just browsing the net when I hear a series of rapid beeps, coming from my computer. Thinking somthing had gone tits up I quickly shut the computer down and restarted.

On reboot I got the Windows check disk program appear and it said it was checking my drives for 'consistency'. As it was checking I noticed it picking up and fixing quite a lot of errors which got me worried.

The it restarted and I was back in WIndows as normal, but all of a sudden for no reason the Keyboard switched off. I took out the keyboard connector gave it a blow and rewconnected it to the back of my PC. The keyboard came back to life but as that happened the mouse switched itself off.

I took out the mouse and reconnected it to the mouse port but it was till dead, i then took off the adapter and plugged it into the USB port and it works.

Now everything seems to be working apart from the Keyboard which jerks when holding the backpace and deleting large amounts of text, beforte it used to smoothly delete everything now it stops and starts after every space.

My specs are:

P4 2.4 ghz (HT Enabled)
512 DDR PC2700
GeForce4 Ti 4200
Seagate Barracuda 80gb SATA
SB Live 5.1 Digital
Abit A17 Mobo
Windows XP pro
Chieftec 360w PSU

Can anyone tell me what happened to my PC?

I built it myself so Im worried I screwed somthing up on it, its been working fine for 2 months though.

Thanks for any replies.

Check your event viewer and device manager for conflicts, if there is nothing suspicious than definitely take a look at bios/cmos settings.Is either the mouse or Kb older, dirty or spill your coffee someplace you did not see?

The mouse will now not work at all when plugged into the regular serial port, it only works when plugged into the USB.

The mouse did power down once before but that was when I plugged my MP3 player into the USB drive.

Could this be a power problem perhaps?

Borrow someone else's keyboard. Although KB and mouse are supposed to be "hot-pluggable", it does not always work, and you need to reboot first.

I also assume your mouse uses the PS/2 (round 6-pin) port rather than the trapezoid 9-pin serial port.
If you want to use that mouse under USB, change your Mouse settings in Control Panel to reflect this. The driver might still be hooked into the PS/2 mouse-driver.

My mouse works fine in the USB port already, it just won't work in the PS/2 port.

Also now noticing that one of my icons has the wrong image displayed. For some reason my connect to the internet icon has the Deus EX icon, very strange.

Have you done a thorough virus scan with your virus software? Also a good hd scan with Ad-Aware 6.0 would be in order.

Open your case and check to make sure the heatsink is still on the processor, sounds like heat-protection kicking in to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back