PC boots but then either goes blank, beeps or loads Windows and then crashes

Hello,

I am a newbie to these sort of forums, but unable to find a solution by browsing I came here.

I'm looking for help with my grandads computer. It is a very old custom build running windows xp. I've opened it up to have a look inside and it seems to have most things onboard such as graphics ect. I haven't been able to get on to the computer long enough to find out all the system specs.

The computer powers up, gives one beep as it usually would, shows the motherboard(?) splashscreen and then starts loading windows xp.

After this point it does one of 3 things:

• The screen goes blank with no cursor and remains like that with all the fans ect stil running and lights still on.
  • The computer starts beeping continuously a bit like a siren and the monitor says 'no signal'.
  • The computer loads xp (enough for me to do a system restore which didn't help) but after a minute or so the screen goes grey/blue and stripey.

It's such an old computer but I'd love to sort it as my grandad enjoys playing chess on it but probably won't spend money on a new one!

Let me know if you need any more info/ me to do any more tests.

Thanks

Back