PC build

Everything looks fine except for the 2.5" 5400rpm hard drive, get a normal sized 7200rpm drive for your storage. You'll need the optical drive and the operating system. It will need to be assembled and Windows installed.

Colby is correct, that 2.5" spinny drive stands out to me. I don't know that I agree with him on the alternative choice, but he is certainly correct on flagging that as something 'wrong'.

To expand:
2.5" yet you are putting this in a desktop type build. So absolutely no reason (outside of power usage) to go with a 2.5" drive. You sacrifice EVERYTHING by that, when the desktop form factor allows you to fully EXPLOIT things. Where Colby and I don't concur is the RPM, you can still get a 5400 rpm drive if you want, but there is absolutely no reason to put a 2.5" non SSD in a desktop form. Do yourself a favor and put the biggest spinny drive you can afford in there.

OR

Put whatever the largest m.2 drive in there you can afford rather than the 850. M.2 drives are really awesome right now, and since you aren't building on a mobo that doesn't have that option, there really isn't a reason to get an 850 IMO.

For some other of my personal opinion type stuff... and take this with a grain of salt, I've been out of the loop on a lot of these things for a while now.
I would question the need for 32 gigs of RAM. This is something that for sure will become the norm in the future, but do you need to spend money on it RIGHT NOW? Probably not - the mobo can take it, so you can always buy later if you think you need it.
That is a nice processor, but do you need to spend that much on a cooler for it? Depends on what you are going to do with it, which is also a question that leads into why do you want THAT processor? The stock coolers for the locked versions of newer intel processors aren't very big, things have gotten a lot more energy efficient over the last decades. We used to need huge heatsinks and exotic ways to cool to get great performance, and I suppose that is still true, but the difference between great and normal is a lot smaller now. So you might not need a K i7 without a cooler when you can get a k i5 that has one... or even just spend $30 on an aftermarket air cooled system. Spending over $100 on a watercooling system for a processor you might not push to the extreme could mean you can utilize that money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Colby is correct, that 2.5" spinny drive stands out to me. I don't know that I agree with him on the alternative choice, but he is certainly correct on flagging that as something 'wrong'.

To expand:
2.5" yet you are putting this in a desktop type build. So absolutely no reason (outside of power usage) to go with a 2.5" drive. You sacrifice EVERYTHING by that, when the desktop form factor allows you to fully EXPLOIT things. Where Colby and I don't concur is the RPM, you can still get a 5400 rpm drive if you want, but there is absolutely no reason to put a 2.5" non SSD in a desktop form. Do yourself a favor and put the biggest spinny drive you can afford in there.

OR

Put whatever the largest m.2 drive in there you can afford rather than the 850. M.2 drives are really awesome right now, and since you aren't building on a mobo that doesn't have that option, there really isn't a reason to get an 850 IMO.

For some other of my personal opinion type stuff... and take this with a grain of salt, I've been out of the loop on a lot of these things for a while now.
I would question the need for 32 gigs of RAM. This is something that for sure will become the norm in the future, but do you need to spend money on it RIGHT NOW? Probably not - the mobo can take it, so you can always buy later if you think you need it.
That is a nice processor, but do you need to spend that much on a cooler for it? Depends on what you are going to do with it, which is also a question that leads into why do you want THAT processor? The stock coolers for the locked versions of newer intel processors aren't very big, things have gotten a lot more energy efficient over the last decades. We used to need huge heatsinks and exotic ways to cool to get great performance, and I suppose that is still true, but the difference between great and normal is a lot smaller now. So you might not need a K i7 without a cooler when you can get a k i5 that has one... or even just spend $30 on an aftermarket air cooled system. Spending over $100 on a watercooling system for a processor you might not push to the extreme could mean you can utilize that money elsewhere.

Ok..... I do not understand most of that but as I said prior I am a first time pc building. What I want to do with it is play games amazingly for a reasonable price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4XtGNN

That is my build with some of the changes I think?

Also can you send a link to a good video that will show me how to put it together. Hopefully the video showing the same case?

Yeah, that build looks good. I'm not very knowledgable about video cards, but don't see anything terribly wrong.

I honestly don't think you'll need any help on putting things together, building a PC now is easier than legos. You literally just put things in the only place they will fit. Sorry I'm not more helpful, I don't have a lot of time to spend on the forums recently and honestly I'm not near as qualified to give advice on these newer components compared to a lot of other people here.

I would actually go for the 480 Red Devil, its one of the most quiet cards in the market and pretty good.
Also for the motherboard I would swap for a Z270 Fatal1ty K6, 12 power phases, comes handy for overclock.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sFfXZ8
Will this work and are there any bits that I don't need like the optical drive and operating system?

Will the computer come pre set with the basic windows 10 that doesn't have word?
There's so much overkill on that system it's hard to believe you are really aiming for a "reasonable price".

-32GB of ram = major overkill. 16GB is more than enough.
-A $215 mobo = overkill. A ~$125 mobo will do everything you need.
-An i7 = overkill unless you plan to do more than game/surf. Not worth the $100+ premium over i5.
-A 750W psu = overkill. 600W is plenty for a single gpu system.
-A $180 case = overkill. $100 gets you a very nice one.
-2.5" HDDs are for laptops. You want 3.5"
-Liquid CPU cooler? WHY? you don't even know what your temps will be yet. Somehow you don't strike me as an avid overclocker. A $30 Hyper 212 cooler is all you'll need.

You say you want amazing gaming, but you're looking at a mid-grade GPU- THE most important factor in a gaming rig, and then throwing most of your budget at silly things that won't improve performance at all. You never mentioned what resolution and refresh rate you're planning to use either, making recommendations impossible. 1080p@60Hz? 1080p@144Hz? 1440p? 4K? I wonder why no one else here has asked that crucial question?

Honestly, if you have to ask whether or not you need an operating system, I hope you have a knowledgeable helper for this project.

Last edited:
Back