PC building problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a PC for the first time and I'm having some troubles getting it to notice the HDD and the CD drives. I've checked everything several times to make sure everything is hooked up correctly and can find no problems. I did however, forget to purchase a floppy drive, if that even has anything to do with it. Or maybe my parts are not compatible with eachother. The items are as follows...

Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE775-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU

VGA ATI RADEON 9000 64M DDR

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 x2

Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A

Antec 430watt TruePower PSU

SONY Black 52x32x52 Internal IDE CD-RW Drive Model CRX230ED-B2

Sony Internal 16X DVD+/-RW / Double Layer Drive Model DW-D22A-B2

It recognizes the processor and RAM without any problems, but takes about a full minute checking for the drives and still says it finds no drives. Any help or reccomendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Do you have the cd drive and the hard drive connected to the same IDE port?
That's quite a common cause of the hd and cd drives not being recognised, in fact, I almost made the same error on my first build.

Did you set the jumpers on the drives? The hard drive should be primary master and plugged into IDE1(usually blue) . Set one optical drive as the secondary master and the other as secondary slave and connect them to IDE2(usually white). The black plug on the IDE cable is for the master and the grey one is for the slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back