PC Crashes, Blue Screen, and Jumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bellb

Hi, I recently built a Media Center with a Mini-ITX motherboard and when I turn it on sometimes it will crash and restart, sometimes when playing music it will get the blue screen and sometimes when I try to play music it will just jump and the music speeds up or slows down.
Can anyone please tell me why this might be happening because I built the media center so I can listen to music but it can only just get itself turned on never mind play music.
These are the specs for the computer:
Jetway J7F5M-DVI Motherboard
Corsair 1GB 553MHz RAM
Samsung Spinpoint F1 (750GB) Hard Drive
PNY GeForce 6200 256MB PCI Graphics Card
Blu-Ray Reader Drive
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit

Please help me
Thanks
Ben

Is it just a blue screen or do you get the Windows warning it must shut down? If the latter, what are the error codes displayed?

I get a blue screen with loads of writing saying that it is dumping memory and a loads of other things, I'll have to wait for the next blue screen to tell you what the error codes are
but I may have fixed the problem just a couple of mins ago but im not sure, so far it is running better but I dont know how long it will last for

Whenever Windows has a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) is writes a minidump file stating the error and its cause. If you find that the repair you did doesn't last attach your minidump files in your next posting and someone should be able to read them for you.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Bsod

At last I learned what a BSOD is. What an appropriate name. Turns out that lately I've been dealing with that problem. A technician suggested I upgraded my RAM, but I wasn't convinced that was the problem, and was skeptical about investing more money on a 5 year P4 512k 80GB configuration.

I attached the latest file. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you!

onmyown, you'll find you will get help much quicker if you start your own post rather than attaching to someone else's thread. So in the future please feel free to start your own. And we're glad you now know what BSOD means. :)

Your error is an 0xD1 and these are caused by either faulty drivers or buggy software. Unfortunantly your dump cited a Windows driver and these are usually too general to be of much help.

The driver is usbechi.sys which is a Microsoft USB 2.0 Ehanced Host Controller Miniport driver. You need it to run USB 2.0.

Questions: What are you doing when your BSODs occur? Did you upgrade any software recently? Do you still have your XP disk? A Windows repair might be in order but not yet until we can know more information.

And you were wise to hold off getting more RAM at this point.

I can't remember what I was doing, but it had happened before (2007). It starts with the BSOD's and then it just crashes. The first time it was under warranty, and they ended up installing a new motherboard and hard drive (I think this was the easy thing to do.) Last time it started doing the same thing, I took it to CompUSA but the technician couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Something new happened that had never happened before. I left it on overnight and NAV ran an automatic scan. I also left IE running and another software I was use for my work. When I came back in the morning there was a message saying it had to activate virtual page file memory to keep functioning. I opened the Task Manager and saw the page file skyrocket to 900mb. The most I had observed before was approx. 600mb. I proceeded to close the programs and it went down to approx. 400mb. Nevertheless, the computer hasn't crashed or shown the BSOD.

I'm wary of programs like NAV and the constant automatic updates I get from Windows, Java and Norton.

I do have the XP disk and Dell Drivers Disk (including diagnostics).

Does any of this ring a bell?

Since you seem to have stability let it be and let us know if the stability continues. If the situation reoccurs then...

Post your 5 most recent minidump files other than the ones you alrady have already given (not folder with files in it).

Second, and this may sound like I'm coming from left field, uninstall, not simply disable, Norton. Make sure you use their uninstall tool from their website to make sure all of it is removed.

When you do are you getting any more BSODs? (By the way, all antiviruses must have the ability to automatically update to keep up with the need for updated protection)

It's been stable for over a month now. But I constantly use Ad-Aware to check for spyware, and AML Soft for cleaning files and fix registry keys (all free software). The NAV seems to do its job of preventing the entrance of viruses, since every time I run it, it only detects low priority items.

Is it safe to completely uninstall Norton AV? Why would I do that?

I just found out that my computer's RAM cannot be upgraded.

I'm attaching the other files.

Are these minidumps recent or they old and post-BSOD problems with no recent crashes? Do you need them to be read?

These are old ones (2007) from when I first experienced the crashes and received service through warranty. The only recent one is the one I posted before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back