Pc / Gaming Slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaero

Hey guys, I'm new here and this problem has been annoying me for a while now.

Basically I turn on my PC, go in the internet etc and everything's fine, when i start up a game it's all nice and smooth as I would expect from my specs on most of the games I have. After a short time though, somewhere around half an hour but it varies, the frame rate drops from the 100+'s down to around 40 or even 20 on some games, when this happens also there is a noticeable but faint high pitch whine that comes from my pc case that continues.

I thought maybe it's a cooling problem but I'm not too sure because if I restart my PC it works again fine, until the same thing happens again.

My specs are :

P4 3.0ghz HT-enabled 800fsb
512mb 3200 DDR RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
And as far as i can remember it's a 400w power supply if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

cooling alright

Thats a big cooling problem. my cuzins did that and he ignored it and boom one day chips fried. wat kind of case do u have? how many fans?

Hmm, i thought it might be but wasnt sure Duff..

I got a fairly big black and silver tower case, it's got just the standard cooling seein as i dont have too much money for some uber stuff at the moment, one rear system fan, and the stock fans on my p4 and radeon.

Got any suggestions for fairly cheap but still good quality and silent cooling?

Cheers

I had a similar problem it turned out to be my 9800 Pro overheating, tried several solutions to the problem even made a homemade GPU cooler for it, I ended up getting a Vantec Iceburg 5 its a huge cooler but definitely solved the problem. Got my Iceburg 5 through Newegg.

Cool! Not too pricey either, might look into gettin one of those...

Does it come with instructions on how to fit it? Cos I've never done it before myself, i redone a whole pc but never done a cooler, lmao :p

Yes it comes with detailed step by step instructions.

The Iceburg 5 fan has its own plug in and you plug it in on an available M/B fan header, but still hook the P/S Molex connector to the Video Card itself.

Well, i ordered one from Overclockers UK for £23 including pnp. Should arrive tomorrow hopefully, we'll see if that sorts out my problem, hope so :) thanks for the advice

Lol yea course i can, not stupid :) just wanted to know what those that you were talking about were :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back