PC not connecting to Internet 169 IP

Hi, I am trying to give my old laptop to a friend. A few months ago I got a new one and had since unplugged the old one from the cable connecting it to the modem. I plugged the old one back in today to get everything cleared off for my friend and now the old pc won't connect to the modem. I can't repair the connection. The IP is 169 etc etc. It connected through this cable fine two months ago. How can I make sure it can connect so I dont give my friend a busted pc? I have tried to follow older posts similar to my problem, but I'm not to savvy when it comes to this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Follow this instruction and post the text file. Please state your version of Windows. If you are using XP or earlier just type cmd in the search box and hit enter. A new connection has the address 169.254.221.205 or similar so it probably just needs to be set up correctly. Have you changed the router since the old PC was last used or reset it?

Click on Start and type cmd into the search box. Right click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator. Copy and paste this command into the box at the command prompt and hit Enter:

netsh interface ip show config >c:\ipconfig.txt

This will create a report on your C drive, you can locate it using windows explorer. Open the report in Notepad and copy and paste it into your next post.

Hi, thanks for your help. I'm operating on windows xp professional, version 202, service pack 3.

I typed the command you gave me, but it didn't run anything for me to post back.

I did get a new modem recently that the old computer hadn't yet been connected to.

Thoughts on next steps?

Thanks

I typed the command you gave me, but it didn't run anything for me to post back.
just fyi and help save time (as i just noticed your post)... After running that command, look for a file in your C:\ directory named ipconfig.txt is the file mark56 would like you to post

Ahh - ok . . .it was there.

Here is the result:

Configuration for interface "Local Area Connection"
DHCP enabled: Yes
InterfaceMetric: 0
DNS servers configured through DHCP: None
WINS servers configured through DHCP: None
Register with which suffix: Primary only

OK, try this and that should re-establish connection to the new modem.

Connect the cable from the Modem

Click Start and then Run, type cmd and press Enter. At the command prompt type

ipconfig /renew (Make sure you include the gap in the middle)

Hit Enter. Now try the connection again.

When your friend gets the PC to his house he will have to do the same again to connect to his modem, or go through a slightly different process if he is going to use wireless.

Another solution maybe
Open CMD window (open as adimistrator) and enter

netsh int ip reset

This will reset the IP to original setting by modifying some registry keys

OK . . .her's what we got going on now.

Mark, tried yours and this is the response. By the way, the wireless connection is disabled right now.:

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxx>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con
tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : The sys
tem cannot find the file specified.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxxxx>

Pigeon, I tried yours and this is what I got:

C:\I386>netsh int ip reset
One or more essential parameters were not entered.
Verify the required parameters, and reenter them.
The syntax supplied for this command is not valid. Check help for the correct sy
ntax.

Usage: reset [name=]<string>

Parameters:

Tag Value
name - The name of a file to which to append information
regarding what settings were reset.

Remarks: Resets TCP/IP and related components to a clean state.

Examples:

reset resetlog.txt

C:\I386>

Sorry, my bad!

In CMD window, type:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

So there will be a log file created on c: restlog.txt

OK - here is what that file said.

Still not connecting.

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\EnableLmhosts
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{4C047E6C-6997-4FAF-8B56-80862D4BDE11}\AddressType
old REG_DWORD = 1

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{4C047E6C-6997-4FAF-8B56-80862D4BDE11}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{4C047E6C-6997-4FAF-8B56-80862D4BDE11}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{4C047E6C-6997-4FAF-8B56-80862D4BDE11}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{7DABA476-698C-4843-85BB-74826F0C98CF}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{7DABA476-698C-4843-85BB-74826F0C98CF}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{7DABA476-698C-4843-85BB-74826F0C98CF}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableIcmpRedirect
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableSecurityFilters
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\SearchList
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\UseDomainNameDevolution
reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANBH\0000. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1043&SUBSYS_25658086&REV_04\4&39A85202&0&20F0. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165D&SUBSYS_20031028&REV_01\4&39A85202&0&28F0. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
PSched

<completed>

Open control panel, go to network connections. Right click on Local Area Connection and click properties.

Select TCP/IP and select properties. Make sure it is set to automatically obtain IP address.

See if that works, if not:

Have you got encryption set on the router? if so disable it and then try again to connect. If still not connecting disable your firewall.

If that fails then follow this so we can have a better look at what is going on.

Click on Start, Select Run and type cmd in the run box and hit Enter

Type the following at the command prompt:

IPCONFIG /ALL (include the gap) and hit Enter.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

Open control panel, go to network connections. Right click on Local Area Connection and click properties.

Select TCP/IP and select properties. Make sure it is set to automatically obtain IP address.

See if that works, if not:

Have you got encryption set on the router? if so disable it and then try again to connect. If still not connecting disable your firewall.

If that fails then follow this so we can have a better look at what is going on.

OK . . .so I had already made sure the IP address was set to automatically obtain. check!

Not sure about the encryption on the router. How would I check that. The laptop is connected directly through a cable. Which works fine when I connect it to another laptop.

Firewall already disabled.

I'll run that command in a sec and post the results.
Thanks again!!

Here is the text from that command:

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx xxxxx>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jessica
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Con
troller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-CC-D6-12
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.243.221
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.243.221

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxx xxxxx>

Your Default Gateway address is incorrect it should be 192.168.xxx.xxx. Run the ipconfig command on your other PC and you will see the difference and make a note of the Default Gateway address.

If your router is cable only it wont have any encryption. I was thinking of a wireless router when I mentioned that.

Go into the Device Manager, find Network Adaptors and click on the symbol next to it to show the adaptors. You should see Ethernet adaptor. Right click on it and select Properties, under the drivers tab click on uninstall and then reboot the laptop. This will reset the Ethernet adaptor to default settings and reload the drivers.

Try to connect again.

If it still wont connect you will have to reset the default gateway address manually. Use this guide on the problem laptop to reset the correct address so it matches the one you made a note of from your other laptop

.http://www.ehow.com/how_5059433_set-default-gateway-windows-xp.html

Hi there, just to be clear. There is nothing there that says "ethernet". Do you want me to uninstall the driver for the broadcom 570x gigabit integrated controller?

Thanks for the clarification. I did what you suggested, but it still ends up with a 169 IP and the connection has limited to no connectivity.

Also, I can't download a new version since that computer isn't connecting to the internet.

I do know it can connect to a wireless signal, but there are no public signals in the area to get a reliable connection.

Other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help!

Make sure the wireless switch is off.

Download the new driver on another PC and transfer it on a rerecordable CD or flash drive.

Follow my suggestion to set the Default Gateway address manually.

There is no physical switch on the computer for the wireless network, but I disabled the connection in the network connections section.

I tried to reset the default gateway, but it says I can't proceed without also entering an IP address and subnet mask. I am supposed to enter all the numbers from the working computer's ipconfig?

Hi Mark, I entered all the numbers and rebooted and still no connection. I haven't been able to install the new driver, is that a major issue?

I haven't been able to install the new driver, is that a major issue

Why? what was the problem. This may fix the issue if the driver is corrupted so it is important.

(Nice to have the thread back to normal, thanks Admin)

Have a look in the Device Manager, right click on the Broadcom device and select properties, under the general tab check the text box says, "This device is working properly" If there is an error message post back with the details.

If you still cannot get a connection after installing a new driver then follow this link to reset the internet settings.

http://windowsmaven.com/How_to_Reset_Internet_Options.htm

Finally from the search box type each of these commands and hit enter after each one.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Now tell me what happens.

I'm having an issue with the driver because the only option it presents is for me to install it on the good computer, which I do not want to do. This may be a simple step that I am missing, but how can I bypass dell's download manager which only wants me to install it on the connected computer?

Back